Stasis and Fran Bow

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
RightClickSaveAs

Stasis and Fran Bow

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

So this past couple weeks saw the release of two indie horror-adventure games that were crowdfunded a couple years ago; Indiegogo funded Fran Bow and Kickstarter funded Stasis.

I'm playing through Fran Bow right now and it's great. It's more of a traditional point and click game, but the puzzles aren't too punishing yet, outside of a couple confusing areas, I haven't been stuck. It also does an unexpected but well executed shift in tone fairly early on in the game, the asylum section at the beginning is replaced by less graphic but still really well done scenes that I won't give away in case anyone wants to experience them for themselves. I had no idea about the shift going in, and it was a pleasant surprise.

Fran Bow is also quite an achievement, it was made by a couple who never did games before, and this is a very solid first offering. They used GameMaker I believe, but really did some impressive things with it, and the art is very distinctive and beautiful.

Stasis I haven't played yet, but will most likely get soon. This was also made by just a couple people, a tiny team in South Africa, and sports some very nice looking isometric art. The demo I played long ago felt a lot like Sanitarium, which I liked but didn't love, but the reviews so far have been really positive.

Anyone play or going to play either of these?
evilkinggumby

Re: Stasis and Fran Bow

Post by evilkinggumby »

I backed Stasis and eventually will get the physical collector's edition. I have installed and tried it and it seems really kool. really strong visuals and great atmospheric sound and music. voice acting is good, but the robot and AI voices are a little.. slow and plodding. Not sure if that is a specific effect.. or just how they did it.

Still a little buggy. when i got to the infirmary it look slike if you walk by the wheelchair it renders over you offly.. and some of the pathing is a little strange. I also haven't mastered the logic in the game and do a lot of pixel hunting to figure out what is useable and what is flavor text.

Still, to kick back and relax to a creepy point and click of this caliber.. I like.

in other news I checked the Demo for another one I backed, Black the Fall and WOW i def like what they're doing. the demo is TINY but the game is fairly large, lots to see, and all kinds of fun puzzles. Even though it's not brain exploding graphically, what they do looks solid and the style works really well, so YAY.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
RightClickSaveAs

That's one of my problems with the isometric design, things can get lost in the background clutter very easily. Still very good to hear good things about it, I will most likely pick it up soon.

I'll check out Black the Fall, sounds interesting!
matt

Post by matt »

I didn't back Stasis, but I did Fran Bow, so I'm excited to give it a try. I chatted with Natalia a few times about making and marketing horror games. :) It looks like they really succeeded in making something special on their first try! I am looking forward to checking it out when I have time, but my new baby doesn't leave me with much...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Oh that's awesome that you talked with the developer, it's really cool that they were able to make something so good as first time game devs! You can tell they really put a lot into it (including two years of their lives).

Hey it's never too early to start the little guy on video games. OK maybe it's just a LITTLE bit too early...
matt

Post by matt »

That's cool! I'm glad it worked out for them! I've been indie for 7 years now, and I'm not even sure if I've really delivered a "good" game - at least by some metrics. :-/
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games