SOMA Release Date

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
Cridone

SOMA Release Date

Post by Cridone »

About a week ago, a new gameplay trailer for SOMA was released along with the release date of September 22, 2015.

As excited as I am for the game, it sucks because this means that the only two games I was really looking forward to this year (SOMA and Downfall) are going to be released near the end of the year, when Summer is over.

But anyway, what are your thoughts on the new teaser and general SOMA stuff? Blalalalala...
I was 14 y/o when I joined this forum and 14-15 y/o during the entire duration of my time posting here, so just keep that in mind when reading my posts. Trust me, looking back at my posts here as an adult, a good chunk of it is unreadably embarrassing.
matt

Re: SOMA Release Date

Post by matt »

I think it looks amazing, but it seems like it's not quite a horror game or a very different type of horror game than Amnesia - both which would be fine with me. I didn't find the atmosphere really frightening in the 12 minute gameplay clip, but I think they have set the stage for some serious existential dread, which could be really interesting.

I think on their blog, they said they started with the theme and the idea (which is super duper interesting. Definitely seems influenced by Philip K. Dick, my favorite author) and it wasn't originally intended to be a horror game. It took a more horrific direction as they kept working on it.

So I think it's going to be amazing and potentially get a much bigger audience than Amnesia, I wonder if the die hard Amnesia fans are going to be happy with it? If it is properly horrifying, it sounds like it is a slow burn (from the previews I've read), which is very different than Amnesia.

Anyway, maybe I'm totally wrong, and it'll be more terrifying than Amnesia or maybe I'm just not afraid of robots and everyone else is. :-P

What do you want to bet the main character is really a robot too?
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

They are believed to be making a film called Depth set in the game's world.

The Item #4017 teaser was an interesting watch. There was also the structuregel.vid teaser.
matt

Post by matt »

That would be really cool! I got to play the game at E3 (very briefly) and it seems really interesting from a narrative perspective. I can't wait for the game to actually come out.
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Wow, that's coming up quick! Great to see, I don't know much about the game so I'll probably just keep it that way and pick it up so I can go into it fresh.

Alien Isolation, SOMA, and now if Routine will ever release, my big three anticipated horror games will have all pretty much come out. I'm not sure about Routine though, it's a really small team working on it.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, it's tough for a tiny team to self fund projects and see them through all the way. I remember hearing about Owl Boy in 2008 (I think I may have played a demo for IGF or something), but it still isn't out - nor does it even have a release date. :(

Routine looks amazing, but it has permadeath, and since I suck at games, that can be a little brutal for me. I think I cheated to get through Amensia: Justine expansion. hahah
-Matt Gilgenbach
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

The reviews for SOMA are starting to come out today.
matt

Post by matt »

Did you guys play SOMA? what did you think? I really enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was very scary. I read Frictional didn't set out to make a horror game. Instead they wanted to do something narrative driven, and I think it is definitely one of the better stories in video games, although perhaps it was just my cup of tea because of the heavy Philip K. Dick influence, and I'm his biggest fan. :)

It was definitely something I didn't want to stop playing until the end. Do we want to start a separate discussion thread? :)
-Matt Gilgenbach