267 - Sustainability

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

267 - Sustainability

Post by matt »

In this developer diary, I talk about what it takes to create a sustainable indie game development studio. That is my goal for Infinitap Games, and I talk about how challenging that is. In the video, I refer to this blog post on Lost Garden.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 267 - Sustainability

Post by evilkinggumby »

I'm not sure why but it seems like this video.. you are either angry, defensive or kind of upset. like a less than desireable conversation preceded this IRL... but it might just be me.

also, kind of way off topic a bit but I figured out a bit of what I was expecting with NeN when I backed it and then saw what the release was.

Child of Light is more of what I was expecting. I only recently started playing the game, but the way they utilized 2d layering with some minor 3d, THAT, I think, is more of the overall aesthetic look and feel I was expecting your team to pull off. Now I know better, but it was intereesting to pick up and play COL and have that moment of clarity.

and that isn't to say COL is PERFECT or ideal, it has some stuff that is a little odd. But it is the closest i've found so far.

I'm glad you are working towards a proper sustainable model. If not, you'd have to belay infinitap as a company indefinitely and go back to just behind the scenes contract work to feed and pay the bills. which.. is no fun.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Re: 267 - Sustainability

Post by matt »

hmm... I was maybe a bit stressed or worried or whatever during the video because it is scary to think about the future as an indie developer. I haven't played Child of Light (I'm not really JRPGs anymore), but looking at screenshots, our next game will look more like that I think. The UbiArt Framework used in that game was developed for Rayman Legends/Origins, which had a AAA team time and budget, so I don't think we can compete with that. I loved the Rayman games and played them a LOT and am totally envious. I also was playing some Valiant Hearts (used the same engine), and it was pretty impressive. They had a 3D building in the background, so it was perspective correct but looked totally seamless with their 2D art. That is REALLY hard. I wish we could do that, but it's too much work for something that few will appreciate... :-/ I learned that mistake the hard way on Retro/Grade...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games