Beta 0.8 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion of the game should go here. Let's keep the rest of the forum free from spoilers! :-)
RightClickSaveAs

Re: Beta 0.8 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Like the Sonic screenshot JPrice posted, might I suggest that for the animation, Thomas' arms spin wildly and a giant drop of sweat pops up on his head :P
matt

Post by matt »

Right now, I just put in something temp, and I think it is an improvement because you do have to make the conscious choice to go over the edge. Hopefully not everyone will - at least not initially.

The animation is going to be tricky I think since it has to convey the act of balancing, so there will be some limbs flailing and whatnot. I don't think we can do a drop of sweat in our art style, so we probably won't have that. hahah

All in all, I really appreciate your help with all the suggestions! I don't think I would have thought of the teetering on the edge thing, and I think it's a big improvement.

Hopefully Joe can come up with a cool animation to match, but I think it's going to be a tough one.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Haha please don't listen to me, it was a dumb joke made because the mental image seemed funny in my head :)
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

matt wrote:All in all, I really appreciate your help with all the suggestions! I don't think I would have thought of the teetering on the edge thing, and I think it's a big improvement.
Yaaaaay I helped make the game slightly better :D hahaha
Hopefully the teetering animation isn't too tricky to combine with an appropriate fall animation.
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

I realize you were joking, but I figured it'd be worth giving an update on the implementation.

I think we'll use our current fall animation. It works well with the teetering idea. The challenge now is to get a good teetering animation. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
ElTipejoLoco

Post by ElTipejoLoco »

So I've noticed no one pointing it out yet, but I see you guys seem to have added Steam achievements support into the game (with custom locked icons, which is kind of rare and neat). Just wanted to confirm that the ones for Final Descent and Destroyed Dreams seem to have worked, and I could see that the one for Wayward Dreamer is the next one available.

Also, regarding the Insanity branch: Since holding down any direction on a control stick while going through a door still tends to automatically move Thomas away from his last point of entry in 0.8, the teetering idea (or similar) might be sort of essential to not accidentally discovering Childish Things.

Also, barring a teetering animation, maybe you could re-use the breakable plank asset from earlier in the game, but delay its animation somewhat and play a wood creaking noise? Not having instantaneous results might make players second-guess what they're doing. At least, things that involve "staying still" to be activated in games tend to go unnoticed longer as far as easter eggs and secrets go.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm glad you appreciated our icons! We will only have the 4 achievements, and they are all implemented. However, only 2 are available in the current build. The next build will be a full beta, and you'll be able to get all 4. While I personally like achievements, since we wanted to go for immersion, I didn't want "taken 1000 steps" popping up when you are in the middle of a tense situation, so 3 of them will only appear over the end credits, and the final one will only show up after you've found all the branches and at that point, I think you've experienced pretty much everything!

We implemented the teetering behavior, and I really like it. Once Joe does the real animation, I think it's going to be pretty sweet. That should make it in the next build. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback!
-Matt Gilgenbach