Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
RightClickSaveAs

Re: Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I liked the idea of giving you hints in Limbo when you die, but I only got the one for the lady in the red dress at the end, and it essentially said "run away". Thanks, I kinda figured that out on my own!

Yeah the messages were a little condescending. Like this one, don't tell me how long to play your game, guys! If I didn't get stuck on your ridiculous puzzle I wouldn't be playing so long :p

Thinking about that picture puzzle some more, there's really no way I would have gotten it on my own. The idea was supposed to be to show you where the key was, but it's one of those cheap puzzles where the key doesn't actually appear in that spot until you get the clue about where it's supposed to be.

Also the Scissor Phantom, was there any trick that you could tell with that? I just kept taking pictures and eventually I beat it. At first I thought you had to make it stab something in the room with the scissors by standing in a certain place when you take a picture, but that didn't seem to be the case.
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

matt wrote:I haven't decided on how all the branches will work, but I like to think of them as choices. However, they will be choices where you won't potentially know you are being presented with one just because we don't have UI or HUD. I think the secret will be basically how to play the level differently than you played it the first time. I suspect some people will find different branches the "natural" one.
Right, that sounds good. Considering how often I died (especially upon first encountering the enemies), how easy it is to get killed by messing up once (every hit kills instantly) and how long especially the new level with the Jackets was, I was kind of worried about making it "death count dependent". Exploration and - even hidden - choices sounds much better. I'm sad you had to remove the thing with the hole in the wall, because that was what I first thought was going to happen, but I'm looking forward to what else it may be.
matt

Post by matt »

Thinking about that picture puzzle some more, there's really no way I would have gotten it on my own. The idea was supposed to be to show you where the key was, but it's one of those cheap puzzles where the key doesn't actually appear in that spot until you get the clue about where it's supposed to be.
I was trying to copy a walkthrough video at that point, so I had it easier although it was tough to follow the walkthrough since it was a video and everything looks similar in the school. I had no idea the picture was the room with the key. All the classrooms look the same. hahaha

While help messages aren't the worst idea, they take you out of the fiction of the game. The messages were pretty terrible. "Winners don't do drugs". Really? REALLY? I mean, my Golden Axe arcade machine says that because it's 20 years old, but that is a terrible joke for a horror game. The mocking remarks were the worst though. "You've been playing too long" is like every 3DS game ever. hahaha
Also the Scissor Phantom, was there any trick that you could tell with that? I just kept taking pictures and eventually I beat it. At first I thought you had to make it stab something in the room with the scissors by standing in a certain place when you take a picture, but that didn't seem to be the case.
Well, I wouldn't say the tricks work really well, but here's what I learned:
1) If you turn off your flashlight, it's slightly easier to see its face.
2) The developers said something cryptic about using headphones and audio queues. I have no idea what the deal is with that.
3) The first mode (5 hits for me, but maybe I didn't have al the upgrade items), is pretty straight forward, I run back and forth with the camera facing back through the room, so I could see him coming. I got the hang of that one pretty easily.
4) The second mode is where he moves really fast and stabs the crap out of you even after you flash him. The best trick I read for this is counterintuitive. You hide in the corner and EXPECT him to get you from behind. Once, he does, then you run all the way across the room and flash him once you are on the completely opposite side of the room. I kept trying to beat him without allowing the hits, but pretty much every time, I would get stuck in corner and he would get a bunch of cheap shots on me killing me without any way of escape. :(
I was kind of worried about making it "death count dependent". Exploration and - even hidden - choices sounds much better. I'm sad you had to remove the thing with the hole in the wall, because that was what I first thought was going to happen, but I'm looking forward to what else it may be.
Yeah, that was an idea I had early on, but as the game takes shape, you realize your earlier ideas were bad. hahah I am a bit bummed about that as well, but I think the game will be better with less content, but a higher quality.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

I died there at least a couple times. I think the audio cues were supposed to tell you which direction he'd be coming from, but that room was so cramped it didn't make much of a difference for me. I just spun around in a circle until I saw something moving.

I think they were trying to do a Silent Hill type enemy there, what with the backstory on his character, but it feels pretty rushed and shallow. Other than the journal entry that unlocks after you beat him, there's really no clue as to what the story is. It is spooky that he had the hidden room set up behind the closet, but other than that you just kinda run into him and move on. More bits of the story scattered around in newspaper clippings or something would have helped, unless that was one of the ones I missed.
nsane

Post by nsane »

Without reading too much of this thread to avoid spoilers, I did buy it. Sadly I have to wait for an update to the game so that I can play it. Why is a y-axis inversion setting not a STANDARD on games today, especially those that use a first-person perspective in some way? That being said, it does look like a good game.
matt

Post by matt »

It was very annoying playing the game without an invert analog stick option. You may be waiting a long time though because there was no gamepad customization at all. :( Fortunately, there isn't a lot of aiming up and down, so you might be able to get by. I did! The aiming issues were not the root of my many frustrations with the game.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I'm watching the Game Grumps playthrough of it, and of course none of them are avid horror gamers and they just mostly goof off and don't pay attention to story and whatnot, but while it's taken them a while to get into the actual swing of the game, without playing it, these are my first impressions-
  • The story, or at least how it's setup, is really trite and I think if I was just playing it on my own, it'd really have to wow me fairly quickly to keep me interested.
  • The writing is TTTYEEEEERRRRRIBBLE with a capital T.
  • There's a lot of bizarre, over-the-top comic relief in cutscenes and dialogue that seems really out of place (see previous bullet point). Part of me thinks this is just a cultural thing or a localization issue, but on the other hand, it doesn't seem right.
For those interested:

The first episode, where the first thing they do is immediately turn around and run down the road, and find out only far too late that the developers are firm non-believers in invisible walls...

And the second episode, where they actually play the game (relatively speaking).
RightClickSaveAs

Grabthehoopka wrote: The first episode, where the first thing they do is immediately turn around and run down the road, and find out only far too late that the developers are firm non-believers in invisible walls...
That's hilarious. I tried to do the same thing just because I could and it took me a few minutes to figure out it just repeats endlessly.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, I got stuck at the beginning too... I thought I talked to everyone, and I couldn't get by the barriers, so I tried running backwards down the road to find something. I ran a LONG way before I decided to watch the beginning of someone else's playthrough, and I was embarrassed to find I missed talking to one person (or missed talking to him enough).

That's perhaps not the best game design when someone (granted a terrible gamer) gets stuck in the first minute. hahaha
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Just hopped on steam with my cup of coffee, and lo and behold, tucked away in the corner with no pomp and circumstance, is DreadOut Act 2. Also, apparently they upgraded the engine a bit, added the ability to adjust various annoyances in the options (hint messages on/off, limbo distance, limbo "messages" on/off) and added a dream sequence prologue in the interim, so if you were thinking of replaying the first act again, hooray for you!

It's 33% off at the moment, so you can get it for 10 bucks. Is anyone else interested?