Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
matt

Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Post by matt »

It's basically an Indonesian Fatal Frame. While it hasn't been reviewed by any major sites yet (to my knowledge), I read this review, and it's pretty promising. Well, except for the really difficult puzzles, which I hate. I am pretty terrible at puzzles in games, and I think they often ruin the pacing of horror games.

So is anyone else going to play it, so I can hit them up for secrets/help? hahaha

It looks like PewDiePie is starting a playthrough for the game (part 1, part 2), but he sometimes skips over less interesting sections, so I'm not sure if his videos would be enough to get me through the game. hahaha

Anyway, if anyone else gets it, let me know. I will probably wait for you to finish it before attempting it, but I still have Walking Dead S02E03 and Fatal Frame 3 to finish. I also want to play Cat Lady at some point, but I was put off but its inability to run at a good fullscreen resolution/aspect ratio. I forget what it was, but the launcher has some pretty poor options...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Re: Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I played the demo for DreadOut but got stuck, which isn't a good sign in a demo. Maybe I got a really early demo or something, but I just remember walking back and forth in this alley with no exits that I could find, and every few minutes a ghost face would pop up on the screen until eventually the ghost face would get more frequent and I'd die or something. It was pretty confusing. I want to know what everyone else thinks if they play it though, maybe I was just really bad at the demo.

The Cat Lady is rough around the edges technologically. I think that one was made with Adventure Game Studio, which seems to have a tendency to lock you into some really poor resolutions.
matt

Post by matt »

Apparently, they didn't reuse anything from the demo, so its possible the finished game is much better. I've played neither, so I can't comment.

Cat Lady was made with Adventure Game Studio, and you are correct about the poor resolutions. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

I picked this game up on a whim and really like it so far. I'm only a couple hours in, but it does a great job of setting up the story. The problem is, I think I'm kinda lost already, and I'm at one of the first puzzles. Given the warning about the advanced puzzles that I'm sure I haven't even seen yet, I think I may have some real problems later on...

I've never played Fatal Frame, so I can't compare it. Because of that I didn't get the camera mechanics at first, but I'm getting the hang of it now. I think the issue with the demo was that I was just bad at it, because I didn't understand that you can "attack" using the camera.

Oh and skimming through the manual, the game says it supports the Steam controller! Would this be one of the first? I'm using my Xbox360 controller for it, the mouse and keyboard controls are OK but it feels more natural with a controller.
matt

Post by matt »

Maybe once you beat it, you can help me through the puzzles. hahah I think I read a criticism that you couldn't invert the joystick. Do you know if that is true? That would make the game even more challenging for me.

I can see how not understanding that you can attack using the camera would kind of ruin the game. :) If you have a PS2, Xbox, or a fast CPU (so you can emulate it), I'd strongly recommend playing Fatal Frame. The first two are amazing. While I did a video talking about how good it is, but Grabthehoopka did a much better job explaining it on the forums than I did.
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

I'll definitely give the puzzles in Dreadout a try and help you out as best I can! I can get pretty stubborn with a game I like, and I still like this one so far. Although reading through the manual (I actually did read the manual, because I didn't have much of a clue what I was doing at first), I ran across this "Protip: When facing despair. Google can be your friend." ...I don't know how to interpret that, this may be a bad sign when the devs tell you to just Google the solution :lol:

And the controls in this game are not configurable at all actually :!: At least not from the menu, I dug around in the game folder but I couldn't find any configuration files either. You can change Mouse Sensitivity, but other than that you're stuck with the defaults. The menus can be a pain to use with the controller, it just won't let me bring up an item sometimes so I end up using the mouse.

Other than that, the controls feel pretty good, although I'm not in love with the over the shoulder camera. It may be that I just haven't played many 3rd person games. Also the main character walks AGONIZINGLY slow, so you'll basically jog everywhere. And it is a jog button, not a run button. There's no "oh shit there's something chasing me" option at all, it's just a leisurely sort of "I think I'm late for class but who cares really". Thankfully the stamina meter is really generous, so you can use it all the time.

I read Grabthehoopka's post on Fatal Frame, I will definitely check it out if I can work out an emulator situation. I've heard a lot of good things about the game and that post sold me even more.
RightClickSaveAs

I finished it, after way too long wandering around and trying random things, I gave up and looked up a walkthrough. This guy did one that runs long as he also did some wandering around, but it shows every step of the puzzles. Here's the Youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... W66677ePM8

That turned out to be the most complicated part for me, I didn't get stuck after that. It's a pretty bizarre puzzle that I don't think I would have gotten on my own, it involves having to take a picture at a certain spot which will give you a clue as to what you need to do next. So it's a sort of abstract thinking puzzle, which I am terrible at. If you pick up the game, let me know and I can drop some hints if you don't want to just look up the solutions :)

It's a pretty short game, this is actually just part 1, and the next one is supposed to be released at some point in the future. I ended up at about 6 hours, but at least 4 of that was wandering around and running text from the game through Google translate while I wasn't sure what to do next. I did take my time at the beginning; one of my favorite parts of the game is where you can explore this seemingly abandoned town. Once you get to the main location, the rest of the game takes place completely in there.

Overall I really liked it. Being that stuck is always frustrating, but I was still engaged enough to keep trying for a while. The mythology is all new to me and very interesting. It's not an Amnesia: Dark Descent-scary game, but there are at least a couple good scares and the spirits/creatures you see are really well designed.
matt

Post by matt »

Cool, I'll probably check it out.

I am a bit terrified because all the reviews and even you just now said it's a "pretty short game", but I suspect one playthrough of Neverending Nightmares is going to be 1.5-2 hours long... The branches should probably add another 1-2 hours, but sometimes people don't really consider that when reviewing games... :-/
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Expectations for game lengths can be kinda weird, I think there's always just been that idea that games need to be a certain length, I'm guilty of that myself sometimes. Although I think it's changing with the increasing numbers of short, focused indie games, and even episodic games to some extent. I know I'm starting to much prefer the tighter games I can play in one or two sittings.

I think Neverending Nightmares is going to be so different from most of what's out there that it will help keep people from coming down so hard on the length. Also I'll bet there aren't any puzzles that you have to stop and Google, or hours spent wandering around lost, both issues that I ran into with DreadOut :) DreadOut also kinda put itself out there as a game like Fatal Frame. I don't know how long those games were, but I'd imagine people compared the length to that on some level. I was pretty happy with the length of DreadOut personally, I actually wouldn't have minded not being stuck for so long on that one puzzle.
matt

Post by matt »

Neverending Nightmares is different, and we've really designed it such that NO ONE should need a walkthrough for the game. That has actually been a challenge. Well, to be fair, you might need a walkthrough to figure out some of the branches, but that's okay with me. I basically want to encourage exploration to find the secrets. We don't have collectables or anything like that, so I think the branches will give people things to do who really like to explore.

Anyway, I probably just worry too much. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach