My crazy nightmares about Neverending Nightmares

Have any scary nightmares? Share them with us!
matt

My crazy nightmares about Neverending Nightmares

Post by matt »

(Repost from my kickstarter update)

Last week, I had a Neverending Update, but this week I have a nightmare update - literally. I want to give you an update on my nightmares. :) A few days ago, I had a horrifying nightmare where the baby monster arm came down from the ceiling and started pulling me up into sudden doom. I was terrified! However, I think in my dream, I kept thinking about how I should use that in the game because it was so scary.

This creates an extremely bizarre meta-fusion of nightmares and reality surrounding the game. Neverending Nightmares was inspired by some actual nightmares, but then elements of the game are causing me more nightmares. Confusing! To give it another level of depth, in the nightmare, I’m still thinking about developing the game.

In addition, I had a strange dream last night. I dreamt that a new print magazine was starting up covering games (yes, I realize how far-fetched that sounds), and I was hoping for them to cover Neverending Nightmares. Unfortunately, the employees were some sort of spider like aliens that would cocoon people and drink their blood. (Actually, it was a lot like “Killer Klowns from Outer Space”…) The conflict in the dream was whether I would risk getting slowly and tortuously killed by aliens to get additional Neverending Nightmares press coverage. I woke up before the nightmare played out, but I think the answer was yes. I’m not really sure what that nightmare means, but feel free to offer any analyses in the comments or on our nightmare forum. :)

Crazy, huh? hahah
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Re: My crazy nightmares about Neverending Nightmares

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I don't know what's funnier - your reaction to finding out a gaming magazine is run by man-eating alien spiders being to slowly and seriously ponder whether or not you should let them slowly eat you to death for a cover story, or the implication that this gaming magazine isn't just a front, but is, in fact, a legitimate publication that just happens to be run by man-eating alien spiders.

You ought to write this stuff down, it's comic gold. Maybe a lovecraftian horror/comedy down the line if things go well for Neverending Nightmares? Maybe you can go the meta-Wes Craven route and make a Neverending Nightmares sequel about a fictional indie game studio making a sequel to Neverending Nightmares?

As far as analysis goes, if you prescribe to that sort of thing, I think it might be quite revealing about your opinions of games journalists, or of the games industry in general? I don't know.
Last edited by Grabthehoopka on Tue May 13, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

I also like that second nightmare, I mean hey who knew Spider Aliens would use a gaming magazine as a front for killing humans! Hahaha

I feel like that other nightmare though could be implemented in the game. Either as like a nightmare transition (Like when you run into that room and get caught by the inmate with no escape) or maybe as an enemy where you have to avoid arms that are coming out of the ceiling. It's something interesting to think about at the very least :)
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

I think it's less of a reflection of game press and more a question of what great lengths I will go to in order to make the game a success.
I feel like that other nightmare though could be implemented in the game.
Perhaps the nightmare was inspired by something I was planning for the game. :-D
-Matt Gilgenbach
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

matt wrote:Perhaps the nightmare was inspired by something I was planning for the game. :-D
Ohhhhhhh snap :o hahaha
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

That's so meta, matt. Are you going to go all Metal Gear Solid 2 on us and reveal that the game is the player's nightmare?
matt

Post by matt »

hahaha, no comment! Maybe the game is playing YOU!
-Matt Gilgenbach
miumiaou

Post by miumiaou »

In soviet Russia nightmare doom you
matt

Post by matt »

Hahah! As I was writing the post, I was thinking of making a Yakov Smirnoff joke, but I was worried no one would get it. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
-Matt Gilgenbach