The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
LobsterSundew

Re: The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Post by LobsterSundew »

Project Resurgence is a CRPG.

Ira had a relaunch with too many early-bird slots.

Kickstarter still is full of low quality projects left over from December. January has been really slow for launches so far.

On Wednesday Kickstarter added a "Back to top" button in the discover area and some other slight visual modifications. There is now a purple-blue "Project we love!" heart the covers the bottom left of some campaigns.
matt

Post by matt »

I have some friends with some new kickstarters:
Wandersong - a cute music game
Karmaka - a card game about Karma
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

There is finally the first wave of good video game projects for 2016.

Wandersong has an interesting personality to it. It took a second rewatch of the video to understand the mechanic, so summarizing their game may be a problem. I really like that giant pie chart image with 90% sound + music.

Invisigun Heroes had a hand puppet talking for its pitch video.

Hero's Song has a bunch on industry veterans, but also a 7 minute long pitch. I keeps modifying its reward structure.

CONSORTIUM: The Tower is doing well. A lot of the project page is well done.

Dujanah has an interesting project thumbnail because of its art style.

Children of Zodiarcs is another Square Enix Collective game with strong art.

The failure of the Zano drone is an interesting read about a Kickstarter project going wrong. I've been flying small quadcopters and lurk on a RC aircraft forum. Back when that project was live, the first thing that stood out to me was it uses a printed circuit board as the structural arms. That was a huge "Nope!" moment for people who have experiencing fixing their drones. If even one arm breaks the entire circuit board usually has to be replaced. It then became another example of people not listening to warnings not to pledge.

I've been using the Remix Mini I backed for. It replaced my Ouya behind the TV, just like how the Ouya replaced a Raspberry Pi. The OS is now available for x86 machines too by live booting off a flash drive.

A revival of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 raised over $5,000,000 on Kickstarter.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Sword of Gary 6000 has an acapella soundtrack. It probably is too early in development to come to Kickstarter, but I am drawn towards games with this type of tone.

Visage is horror game with some good looking environment modeling.

Alice in Tokyo Wonderland is a character-action game. There aren't too many of those from developers outside of Japan. The Unity3D forum thread was interesting. The goal feels too low.

There has been a lot of poorly made project pages recently. 2016 has been off to a slow start.

Wandersong filled its early-bird slots. Between the $50 and $100 tiers stands out in the graphs as the place with the most potential for a new reward tier to be added. The average per backer is currently $19.41 and it needs to reach approximately 900 backers total to reach 100% funded. It is 12th in popularity ranking for the category. Its campaign ends on Saturday Feb 20th. It looks like it will need to do around $4,000 over its last 48-hours to reach its goal. It looks like it can get funded, but will need a big push at the end. I was a backer on Phantasmaburbia and did not see a project update there yet informing people of the Wandersong campaign.

There was news that Ant Simulator had members of the team allegedly waste the Kickstarter funds on drinks and strippers.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

February means a good wave of new Kickstarter projects has started.

Knights and Bikes feels almost like a game Double Fine would make. It has a team that worked on games for Sony's platforms.

Battalion 1944 is a WWII FPS.

City of the Shroud is a tactical RPG that takes a bit too long to reveal gameplay in the pitch video. Skip the 1st minute to actually see gameplay.

The Triangle is a horror game that seems to have a good feel, but also a developer biting off more than can be chewed at that budget.

ESSENCE is a 3D first person exploration game.
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Hey all, long time! I've missed the forum but the activity died down at an opportune time, really, as I've been busy with a new job and studying.

The Rides with Strangers project has something odd going on with the funding. Have you been following that one, Lobster? The initial goal is only $25k, which seems really low, and it started off with almost no momentum. I think the idea looks really interesting for a horror game, so I put down $50 on it when it looked like it really needed the help, but not long after I did that, they suddenly managed to pull in over $9,500 in just one day, spread out over only 34 backers.

Kinda suspicious.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Deliver Us The Moon has been generating buzz.

Wandersong should make it. It currently has 530 backer pledging $11,059 (61.4% of its $18,000 goal). 12 days remain. It should hit its goal when the last 48 hours surge starts.

I didn't like the stuttering framerate when I saw Ride With Strangers' launch. It does has an interesting premise for a game. I haven't checked if its assets were from the Unity3D store, but it really felt like the many asset flipping games that come to Kickstarter and Greenlight. A lot of the project page images are reusing the same assets over and over. The jacksepticeye YouTube channel's video went up January 31st which created a burst of new backers. The campaign still wasn't doing well enough until on Feb 4th the project suddenly really came back to life with a burst of $9,557 (33.53% of the current $28,505 raised). Feb 4th was when the demo went public. $2,325 is unallocated funding which isn't too bad. The allocated amount pledged graph is heavy towards the higher reward tiers. It doesn't look like any cheating is happening, but it also looks like it is being forced towards the minimum funding goal.

Unsung Story was shelved. It is being labelled as one of the worst run videogame Kickstarter projects. There have been multiple news articles about how poorly development is going.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Wandersong has less than a $4,000 gap to go with 4 days remaining.

A Place for the Unwilling's art style is interesting.

Feudal Wars is a RTS. There was a r/gamedev thread where the project creator didn't react well to feedback.

Null of Hope is kind of an interesting VR premise, but it feels too overambitious.

Overload is another Descent inspired game. While Descent: Underground was criticized for being multi-player only, Overload was being criticized for being singleplayer only.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Pintstripe had a really good launch. One thing that stands out is the project creator keeps posting so many updates. There are already 7 after just 2 days.

The Neverending Nightmares /community page thing is up. It is a new feature for Kickstarter itself.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Lobotomy Corporation's video gets good around halfway with its horror monster designs.

Kaidan is another horror game with some interesting art assets.

Mediocre Monster has a comical song for a pitch video.

Nelo us a run and gun game with some good action.

Posthuman: Sanctuary has some good motion comics.

Otter Kingdom is a 3D adventure RPG.

Dwelvers is a Dungeon Keeper type game that launched into a Saturday.