The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
LobsterSundew

Re: The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Post by LobsterSundew »

First Wonder is strangely executed campaign on the bad end of the spectrum of campaign execution. That current project thumbnail is pretty bad.

There was an interview with the Retro VGS project creator. It received about 60% dislikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmapDzXBA70

Jotun's multi-part dev documentary is up on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfK9sHL3yZw
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

BattleTech smashed its Kickstarter goal in about an hour after launching.

Jotun released on Steam. I haven't installed it yet.

UnderTale was also released recently. I remembered its campaign as having one of my favourite project thumbnails. Apparently the game is so good that it is starting to strongly spread by word of mouth.

Remember the Metal Gear Solid Psycho Mantis boss fight messing with players by mentioning the save files for other games on the memory card? You may also remember Eternal Darkness faking that it deleted the save file to mess with players. Do you remember how The Stanley Parable messed with a player's sense of free will? Be careful about boss fight spoilers for UnderTale if you think you might want to play it and be messed with by the game. Game design students may have to study this game in the future for what it achieved.
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

I am getting a lot of referrals from other KS's for this one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... -inside-me

I looked it over but.. there is something about it that screams "Not going to be good". I am not sure if it is the fact it is made by a "Filmmaker" who according to IMDB has one film, which is reviewed as abhorrently terrible and cliche/uninspired or the fact the visuals look good but the imagery and ideas he is showing also are..typical uninspired and unoriginal. Yes it wants to be an adult/edgey horror point and click. I like the base CONCEPT for it but everything I see tells me it's lacking any foundation for what makes really GOOD horror. He should talk to Matt, seriously.

RETRO VGS pulled the plug (not surprisingly) and is going to recollect to start a new campaign soon. They seem to be pressing for weays to make the console cheaper and more in line with what people want/expect. they're also now shooting to make some kind of prototype with working cartridge, so I am betting they'll shift to kickstarter for the second try instead.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

evilkinggumby wrote:I am getting a lot of referrals from other KS's for this one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... -inside-me

I looked it over but.. there is something about it that screams "Not going to be good". I am not sure if it is the fact it is made by a "Filmmaker" who according to IMDB has one film, which is reviewed as abhorrently terrible and cliche/uninspired or the fact the visuals look good but the imagery and ideas he is showing also are..typical uninspired and unoriginal. Yes it wants to be an adult/edgey horror point and click. I like the base CONCEPT for it but everything I see tells me it's lacking any foundation for what makes really GOOD horror. He should talk to Matt, seriously.
I just checked out the demo, and your impression seems correct, it's terrible. Nothing is the slightest bit intuitive or even makes sense in most cases, and that's just for the demo, which should be the best representation of a game. It's an unholy combination of pixel hunting, adventure game nonsense logic, poor controls, and just plain confusion. At the very start, you have to make an improvised grappling hook, which you get by combining a peg from the wall which can only be removed by finding a knife that's hidden in the clutter on the floor, all so you can throw it into a room and hook it on the leg of dresser with a mirror on it, allowing you to slide the table over and make it so the creature inside the room doesn't see your reflection in the mirror as you walk past. Really. That's the first puzzle.
matt

Post by matt »

While I am looking for something to fill the P.T. shaped hole in my heart (especially when they said that Junji Ito was working on it. That would have been amazing!) I am a little wary of the Allison Road kickstarter. They are asking for a lot of money for a team that hasn't shipped a game together. They don't go into details about the team distribution, which is worrisome to me - especially since it sounds like they are pulling a lot of people from the film world. If you look at the credits here: http://www.lilithltd.com/ they have one programmer, and he doesn't have any professional (or indie) game experience previously...

Anyway, I'm obviously hoping for the best, but I think I'm going to pass on backing the kickstarter... :-/
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Armikrog released. Initial impressions are it needed more development time and is riddled with bugs. I do like its release trailer's atmosphere a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlT0f82hcJg

There hasn't been many good projects launching recently. That is surprising for this time of year. There are some scary large projects running right now that may be scaring project creators away.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Memoranda has strong art, but a slow pitch.

Bertram Fiddle is a Virtorian adventure game.

Midora ran out of development funds.

This October has had a lot of really low quality projects. It still feels like July level of no-traction rushed campaigns.
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

looks like Allison Road has pulled their KS. they are being backed by the Worms team so they cancelled their kickstarter entirely. Weird. I think this is the second one I've seen do this that I have backed. Here's to hoping it works out well!!

Also Ashen Rift is back and doing a minor KS to fund going to PAX east..lol. kind of odd but at least they can get their goal and renew the project makers faith in things.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... o-pax-east
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Hello, Neighbor! reminds me of We Happy Few. It had a slow start and has a big $100,000 goal.

Wanderer has some good art direction.

Kickstarter just added a Pintrest button to project pages.

Allison Road was still doing better again when it canceled.
http://i.imgur.com/hGaOV6B.png

The Mini Museum 2 launched. Its first campaign's execution impressed me.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Mist Valley is a first-person horror game.

Friday the 13th is another horror game project, but with a famous IP.

The Forgettable Dungeon is a Zelda-like roguelike with a voxel art style.