Retro/Grade and its soundtrack are on sale!

General talk about Retro/Grade
matt

Retro/Grade and its soundtrack are on sale!

Post by matt »

Until December 3rd, Retro/Grade is 75% off as part of the Autumn sale on Steam. The fantastic soundtrack by Skyler McGlothlin (the composer of Retro/Grade) is also on sale on Bandcamp for 75% off.

Even if you aren't that big on rhythm games, I think it might be worth picking up for the low price of $2.49 because there are really interesting ideas in the game, and it is similar to Neverending Nightmares in that they are both mindfucks. :)

Thank you so much for all your support!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
gagaplex

Re: Retro/Grade and its soundtrack are on sale!

Post by gagaplex »

Well, if the version on your website (the DRM-free one) also went on sale, I'd definitely buy it... even if the %-saved was lower. :?
Yeah, I'm... special in that regard.
matt

Post by matt »

We sell so few of the DRM-Free version that I don't usually bother with putting it on sale. (There is no web interface for doing so) However, I'm pushing to get on the Humble Store, so I suspect there will be promotions with that version once we get on there.

Sorry for the trouble! I'll make sure we do a DRM-Free sale one of these days.
-Matt Gilgenbach
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Nah, sorry for being annoying about Steam. :P
matt

Post by matt »

No worries!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

Matt,

Your sale finally inspired me to try out Retro/Grade (honestly, I was planning on buying it at full price, but I had so many other indie games I need to play I hadn't gotten it yet).

It is freaking awesome. Honestly, if everyone at my mom's house were not asleep at the moment, I'd be jamming on it right now.

I just wanted to join the many who've praised it. I had a blast last night playing it.
matt

Post by matt »

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it!
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I picked this up during the sale, I played through a couple levels and am loving it! Once I dig out my controller I'll sit down and really get into it, but I just want to say that it looks gorgeous. The menus are a work of art, I know menu design is usually way underappreciated, and this is one of the best menu systems I've seen.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, we went way overboard with pretty much every aspect of the game. While I agree the menus are absolutely amazing (the other co-founder Justin, did them), I'm sure it didn't affect sales in any way shape or form, which was a big problem when we spent 4 years making a game that didn't sale.

I am TRYING not to spend time on things that won't really affect sales. Our menus are definitely not going to be nearly cool in Neverending Nightmares. Ha! However, I still find myself spending a fair bit of time on the details although a much smaller percentage of time than on Retro/Grade. (I spent about a month making a semi-procedural skydome generator... The skydomes are pretty much unique every time you run the level although they look pretty much the same unless you really really stare at them. haha)

Hopefully I spend my time wisely, but even after learning the hard lessons at Retro/Grade, but it is still hard to figure out where to draw the line for details because this is a labor of love, and I want everything to perfect.

The challenges of game development! *sigh*
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

matt wrote: I am TRYING not to spend time on things that won't really affect sales. Our menus are definitely not going to be nearly cool in Neverending Nightmares. Ha! However, I still find myself spending a fair bit of time on the details although a much smaller percentage of time than on Retro/Grade. (I spent about a month making a semi-procedural skydome generator... The skydomes are pretty much unique every time you run the level although they look pretty much the same unless you really really stare at them. haha)
Oh wow, I will definitely keep my eye out for that when I really sit down and get into Retro/Grade then.

Yeah I think in faster paced games and shooters the little details can get lost easily. In a game like Neverending Nightmares though, those things can really make a difference, and as someone who plays through adventure games pretty slowly, I always appreciate them.