Movie recommendation

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
matt

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by matt »

Wow that is an outstanding recommendation! I'll have to check it out.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

For comedy, I absolutely loved the following films which were on Netflix streaming last time I checked:

It's a Disaster - A film about brunch during the apocalypse.

Death at a Funeral - A black comedy about death at a funeral.

You guys are going to laugh, but I saw The Shining for the first time a few weeks ago and MAN oh MAN, it was incredible. I know I'm like probably the last guy at the party here, but I still get chills thinking about it!
matt

Post by matt »

I'm glad they only have the original Death at a Funeral streaming. The remake, which came 3 years later is the most pointless remake ever I think.

I think you may be the last person to watch "The Shining", but I'm glad you did! It is the pinnacle of horror movies as far as I'm concerned. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Oh my goodness, I just looked on IMDB and I had no idea they remade it 3 years later... :?: :?: :?:

Oddly enough Peter Dinklage is in this version too... :?: :?: :?:
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah it is weird to see him play the exact same role. Penelope Cruz did that in "Open Your Eyes" and "Vanilla Skies", and it was weird too. That was another pointless remake, but I suspect it's just because for whatever reason, English speakers have an aversion to subtitles. (Not me though!)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

I don't mind subs either...I guess in Death at a Funeral's case, Americans have a problem with British accents? Even though Alan Tudyk is from El Paso, TX...
matt

Post by matt »

No idea! A better question might be why I bothered to see the remake after I saw the original... hahah
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I would argue that the most pointless remake ever, besides Gus Van Sant's shot-for-shot Psycho remake vanity project, was the American remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Despite being directed by David Fincher, and while I'm sure it's a wonderful film in its own right, the original Swedish film was already a huge success (for a non-American-made film) internationally, and US studio executive fat cats couldn't wait ONE YEAR before making an American Remake.

To put that into perspective, it takes about 9 months to make a movie from pre-production to post-production. The movie was made in 2009 but wasn't released until 2010, and the remake was released in 2011. So, if you subtract 9 months off of that, somebody somewhere saw this, (I like to imagine standing up in the middle of the theater, pointing at the screen and shouting "MINE!"), IMMEDIATELY jumped on the phone and IMMEDIATELY jump-started production on an American remake. Why? There are many reasons, all of them cynical, and all of which make me sad.
matt

Post by matt »

I find the idea of the shot for shot remake of Psycho offensive, but I was thinking that perhaps people just don't like black and white movies, and maybe that is a justification - albeit a terrible one.

I loved the original Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, and while I love David Fincher, I don't see what they could possibly change or make it better... I guess in their defense, maybe they bought the rights to the book as well as the Swedish company? Who knows.

The US remake of "Let the Right One In" was extremely pointless as well...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Saw a really, really good indie comedy/horror movie from Ireland of all places this weekend called Grabbers. My gut wants me to compare it to Shaun of the Dead, but in actuality I'd say it has more in common with Tremors than anything else.

Basically, a meteor lands in the ocean just off the coast of a tiny, isolated Irish village that unleashes a bunch of alien tentacle beasts on the town. They latch onto people's faces and suck their blood, but our heroes discover that alcohol is poisonous to them, so to protect themselves, they have to raise their blood alcohol level above 0.2%, and fend off an alien invasion whilst completely shitfaced drunk. The CGI effects are amazing for what seems like a pretty low-budget movie, and it's fucking hilarious. And yes, it's on netflix instant watch! (in the US, at least)