Downfall Remake (Has anyone seen it?)

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
Cridone

Downfall Remake (Has anyone seen it?)

Post by Cridone »

If you have played and loved The Cat Lady, you might know of Remigiusz' previous game, Downfall.
If you don't, Downfall was a VERY big difference from The Cat Lady. The game uses hand-drawn sprites instead of 3D models, it has a pretty different atmosphere, and the biggest difference is that it's a point-&-click game instead of the sidescroller style Remigiusz adopted with The Cat Lady.

The remake will be in the same sidescrolling, 3D style of The Cat Lady with a new score, new characters (with some from the first game still being thee), new rooms... pretty much new everything! The game is expected in Spring 2015 and will also include Jesse Gunn voice acting Joe, the same guy who voiuced Joe in The Cat Lady and also the one who provided extra music for the game.

There was a teaser released on Halloween this year, so go see it if you haven't...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_swKr2xLM
I was 14 y/o when I joined this forum and 14-15 y/o during the entire duration of my time posting here, so just keep that in mind when reading my posts. Trust me, looking back at my posts here as an adult, a good chunk of it is unreadably embarrassing.
matt

Re: Downfall Remake (Has anyone seen it?)

Post by matt »

Are you sure they used 3d models for Cat Lady? It looked 2d to me... Have you played Downfall? Is it cool?
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

Yes, the environments are 3D models, prerendered I think. Because Adventure Game Studios is a 2D only engine.

Edit: I reread all of the interviews with Remigiusz Michalski and I was sort of right, he did use 3D models however also used a mix of real world photos and painting/drawing. Which is seen in most NPCs.

As for the original Downfall - you can now get it for free due to the remake, though I don't really recommend playing it.
However if you do play it just don't expect anything from it and you should be fine.
http://quiethavenhotel.co.uk/
I was 14 y/o when I joined this forum and 14-15 y/o during the entire duration of my time posting here, so just keep that in mind when reading my posts. Trust me, looking back at my posts here as an adult, a good chunk of it is unreadably embarrassing.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, some of the backgrounds looked 3D rendered but some didn't. In general, Cat Lady seemed like a merging of a few different art styles, which was a bit of an odd choice but may have contributed to the uneasy feeling of the game. I guess I'll wait for the Downfall remake. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

I hope that he renames the Downfall remake to something like Quiet Haven Hotel (the name of the hotel from Downfall, which is also used for the official website) or Misery (a reference to Stephen King's book being in Donwfall/The Cat Lady as well as the fact that the game's story is the misery of Joe and Ivy).

But yeah, looks great so far. Another piece of proof that the environments are 3D is this trailer for The Cat Lady and the Downfall teaser trailer also has some scenes looking at the original 3D rooms.

But yeah, can't wait. Just gotta a few more months.....

And as a note, you should subscribe to Remigiusz Michalksi's channel if you haven't in case he posts more videos. d:
http://youtube.com/user/harvesterindiegames
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks for the tip and the extra info!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

[EDITED, I didn't want to double post]

Just searching around like my usual self and I found two tracks for the Downfall remake composed by Rem's brother that he has released on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/micamic/ivys-delusion (used in the trailer)
https://soundcloud.com/micamic/lost-between-floors

Screen 7 stated on facebook two games will come out this month, and Downfall 2015 is expected Q2 2015, considering that release dates are never really set in stone most of the time, it is very possible for Downfall 2015 to come out this month.

And apparently the way to tell the difference between the original Downfall and the remake is that the original will be referred to as 'Downfall - A Horror Adventure Game' while the remake is just simply 'Downfall', that and the original won't be part of the trilogy, Downfall - The Cat Lady - Lorelai.

And if you're wondering Lorelai is the next game after the Downfall remake. ;)
matt

Post by matt »

When you say trilogy, do you mean the games have the same characters? Is Susan in Downfall?
-Matt Gilgenbach
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

Well there's going to be more games even after this trilogy, and they will always be connected together, so Susan being in the remake is a high possibility.

[Edit (May)]
We have a new image to hold us off until the Halloween release.