Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
RightClickSaveAs

Re: Is anyone getting "DreadOut"?

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Yeah I saw that this morning, I'd almost forgotten about the game!

It looks like my old saves don't work anymore, and although you can jump straight into Act 2 if you want, that feels weird to do and I've forgotten some of the things that happened since the game came out so looks like I'll be replaying it. Damn it's been almost a year since the game came out?
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah I saw they invalidated the saves a week or so ago, but I had no idea act 2 was out. I started playing Metro 2033 Redux, so it might be a while before I get a chance to check out Act 2 and the new prologue, but if anyone else checks it out let me know how it is! (I'm sure I'll need to wait for a walkthrough too because I had no idea what was going on in the first game)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I decided to start over from the beginning, and blew through the first part in just a couple hours with the help of a walkthrough. Now I've recently finished Act 2, and I'm mixed on it. The best part is there are different locations, a lot of them outdoors, rather than being stuck in one confusing building. The bad part is, some of the puzzles just continue to not make sense. There wasn't anything as difficult or convoluted as the key puzzle from the first act, but I had to look up a couple that just weren't very logical, one involving a hidden path that you have to unlock by doing something that's not intuitive in the slightest. The path is hidden behind some bushes that look mostly normal, but will disappear if you use the flash feature on your new camera...

Act 2 unfortunately starts right off with two terrible chase sequences. There are then a couple gameplay segments where you just have to hold down the movement key/joystick to make Linda go through a sequence that is kind of goofy and not as tense as it was meant to be. You finally get a camera upgrade, but the camera mechanics are still really simple, with the exception that you can zoom now.

Fortunately, the game picks up a bit after that, and it's back to hunting down ghosts and exploring, which I found the strongest part of both acts. The new settings look pretty good, even if the graphics seem like they're from an older generation of games. The Indonesian folklore continues to be really unique and interesting. They have some really freaky ghosts that put American (and European too, I'd dare say) ones to shame. There's also a really cool sequence with mirrors that may have been partly stolen from another game, possibly Fatal Frame, which I haven't played so I can't say for sure.

The ending was just weird to me. It goes completely off the rails, like a lot of horror games unfortunately seem to do, and I had only a vague idea of what was happening.

Still I'd recommend checking it out with a walkthrough to see the new content, there are a couple complete guides up on Steam now that will also help you get all the item pickups and achievements, if you care to. Turns out the item pickups help you run faster and give you more health, which I had no idea of before! And as Grabthehoopka already mentioned, you can turn off the Limbo distance and taunting messages in settings now :)
matt

Post by matt »

I'll definitely check it out when I get a chance. Thanks for letting me know how the game was! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games