Has anyone played Five Nights at Freddie's?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
LobsterSundew

Re: Has anyone played Five Nights at Freddie's?

Post by LobsterSundew »

I remember seeing the Kickstarter campaign launch.

My brother has been playing it. I've been watching a lot of Let's Plays of it. I also read up on the strategies people have to get through all the nights. There isn't any Linux support yet otherwise I would might have played it already.

I like a lot about the game. There is some good imagery, such as the fox staring from behind the curtains. It uses jump scares, but I consider jump scares a tool that can be used properly. I have enjoyed figuring out how well the game maintains its balance.
matt

Post by matt »

I too enjoy a good jump scare. I don't think they are good on their own, but I think it's a tool that can be used effectively. I'll have to check the game out when I get a chance!

Thanks!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Five Nights at Freddy's 2 has some of its gameplay mechanics reworked from the first game. Doors have been replaced with being able to put on an empty Freddy head. It removes the feeling of safety that the doors created when both were closed.

There is a story twist near the end and I was impressed how it played with player expectations.
matt

Post by matt »

Interesting! I'll have to give it a try. I just got Five Nights at Freddie's part 1 in a humble bundle, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm amazed how fast the developer was able to turn around a sequel. I don't know if I could make anything in 4 months...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

matt wrote:Interesting! I'll have to give it a try. I just got Five Nights at Freddie's part 1 in a humble bundle, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm amazed how fast the developer was able to turn around a sequel. I don't know if I could make anything in 4 months...
Scott Cawthon (the developer) actually had some time in game development. He started when he was 8 with a simple clik kit. He took a 10 year old graphics design class and is also a Christian animator so he has worked on several animations beforehand. From what he said, he knows the engine like the back of his hand.
I was 14 y/o when I joined this forum and 14-15 y/o during the entire duration of my time posting here, so just keep that in mind when reading my posts. Trust me, looking back at my posts here as an adult, a good chunk of it is unreadably embarrassing.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm impressed with his skills!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

Mmmmmmmm..... played FNAF 2 at a friend's house, my thoughts:

The game is not as scary as the first one but at the same time, improved on the first one. Of course, Scott kinda faked us out when he later revealed it's really a (spoiler) prequel, but even then it still can be counted as a sequel (a sequel-prequel). Besides that, I hate people who think Scott is milking the series because the sequel gave you everything you needed while also downgrading in some areas. Not really much to complain about to be honest, except if Scott is gonna make a FNAF '3' (which a giant yellow number 3 appearing on his website is NOT evidence at all) then he needs to really do something to shake it up, which I have big hope for because how good FNAF 2 was.

Anyways, the real reason I made this reply is because the Five Nights at Freddy's Wiki just DENIES that Mangle is female despite all the points I make to them (then again, it feels like I'm screaming into thin air whenever talking to them); it shows that Mangle is female with the custom night 'Lady's Night' mode, that's all the evidence you need. The idea that Mangle is a 'balancer' in the mode is stupid because it's LADY'S NIGHT, why would Scott throw a male in there if it's called Lady's Night?!? In that case if that's true, then Scott did something horribly wrong. Besides that, Phone Guy referring to Mangle as 'he' doesn't say anything and can be broken with a single image; http://i.imgur.com/ujeGUY7.png.

A really pointless thing to complain about, but it's annoying.
I was 14 y/o when I joined this forum and 14-15 y/o during the entire duration of my time posting here, so just keep that in mind when reading my posts. Trust me, looking back at my posts here as an adult, a good chunk of it is unreadably embarrassing.
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I was incredibly creeped out by Five Nights at Freddy's 1, and I deeply admire Scott Cawthon's ability to work around the limitations of the engine to make something so stressful. I get the sense that he perhaps didn't playtest it as much as he should have, but I still think it's a fine game and I still admire it greatly. The second game is also incredibly creepy, and with some noted improvements over the first one, but with a third coming along, I have two creeping concerns:

The first is the fans. I mean, holy crap. I guess it's a series, now, but people are obsessed with this game, which I can't help but feel is a dread omen of the same thing that helped kill the Silent Hill franchise. I'm not saying that they're the same, since it was the bizarre and idiotic inner workings of the Konami higher-ups that ultimately did it in, which he doesn't have to deal with as an indie developer, but pandering to the fans kept it afloat long enough to make it die a slow, prolonged, undignified death. Not really a fault of the game itself, except-

The second thing is Scott catering to said fans, almost exclusively. Five Nights at Freddy's 1 was difficult and stressful as it is, but the general consensus seems to be "well, if you play it enough, you understand the mechanics at work and then it's really simple". Which, when designing a horror game, is exactly the opposite of what you want. So, he was left with an army of fans that understood his game inside and out so well that they can (and they have) program and make an exact duplicate of his game in Gmod, Minecraft, Little Big Planet, and probably tinker toys, if you left them alone in a room long enough. On one hand, he wanted to improve the gameplay, and he did a good job tightening up the mechanics in ways that both improved the design (actually incentivizing you to use the monitor), and made more logical sense (hiding in an empty costume). However, that's all basically a moot point, since if he offered something like the first game again, the fans would get bored and find it too easy. So, he designed it specifically so that people who mastered the first game would have a challenge.

As for those of us who are not obsessed with the first game and who did not master it, Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is brutally, punishingly, unforgivingly difficult. He knows that people are just going to play it and play it and play it until they can basically rewrite the entire source code with their eyes closed, so that's the way he made the game, the rest of us be alienated and damned. If he's making a third one, I'm afraid the same thing will happen again and again, and he's building up this barrier of entry to make a smaller and smaller crowd of devoted fans happy. The same fans that psychotically absorb the games so wholeheartedly that it ceases to scare them anymore. It's kind of a self-defeating vicious circle.

Anyways, maybe he'll wisen up like Creative Assembly did and make an "easy" mode or something with the next game.
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Oh wow, he announced a 3rd already? Good on him for tapping into such a successful thing, but that seems a little quick.

Thanks for the heads up on how difficult 2 is, I never finished the first one so I'll definitely hold off on that. I learned some of the tricks by watching LPs for the game, but I don't think I ever completely figured out the game, and the last night still seems insanely difficult to me.
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

RightClickSaveAs wrote:Thanks for the heads up on how difficult 2 is, I never finished the first one so I'll definitely hold off on that. I learned some of the tricks by watching LPs for the game, but I don't think I ever completely figured out the game, and the last night still seems insanely difficult to me.
Yeah, I never finished the first game either, and I, too, never finished the fifth night. I've played the second one, and can't beat the second night.

That's why I think he might not have playtested it as much as he should have. The only way to get a decent way into the game is to basically munchkin your way through and exploit the AI. Looking at the monitor is set up as a central part of the game, but after a while you literally can't afford to use it, and a while after that, you figure out that you don't really need to, except to check on foxy.

FNaF 2 incentivizes you to use the monitor, which is good, but gives you more than twice as many robots to worry about, and puts a bigger emphasis on reaction speed. I watched Markiplier's playthrough, and indeed, on the last two or three nights, when something gets into the office and pulls your monitor down, you have the tiniest fraction of a second to put the mask on or else it's game over. It's such a ludicrously small window of opportunity that the only way to do it in time is to know it's coming and be prepared for it, like that hand-slapping game. I haven't quite gotten to that point, but I absolutely hate games that rely on super-quick reaction time.