56 - Procrastination

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

56 - Procrastination

Post by matt »

Stefan suggested I post these in the forums as well as on the blog, so here it is! :-D
Last edited by matt on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
sunsetbrew

Re: 55 - Procrastination

Post by sunsetbrew »

I write software for a living as well. I am bad at procrastination, but I somehow always get the work done. I think a certain amount of procrastination is a good thing. To begin with, it gives your body a rest. Lack of a break leads to burnout which is the worst possible outcome. And over the rest time, your ideas and software designs tend to mature making the actual work go smoother.
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

This might not be the best advice in the world, but I find that nothing gets the engine for creativity in your brain going faster than the high-octane fuel of panic brought on by an approaching deadline.

Also, I thought it was funny how in a developer diary for procrastination, you spend the first 30 seconds of the video bringing up two different topics before dismissing them and saying you'll get to them later.
Stefan8000

Post by Stefan8000 »

wow, matt, nice, that you post it here too. thanks.
sunsetbrew

Post by sunsetbrew »

Over the years, the leading driver for procrastination for me has been diversion. And perhaps the activity I find most diverting is social forum activity. Sort of ironic.
matt

Post by matt »

Fortunately, checking the forum is part of my job. :lol:
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Re: 56 - Procrastination

Post by Grabthehoopka »

If you don't mind us (me) asking, how did the initial experiments with enemies go? Do you feel like you're making progress? Was it everything you'd feared it'd be?
matt

Post by matt »

Unfortunately, I didn't really get started until Monday I think. More stuff came up! However, it is going quite well I think. There is still a lot of work left to do, but I feel like what we have so far is quite promising.

I am currently experimenting with adding a run. While I was on the fence about adding run, I think it is important for gameplay considerations that when a monster is barreling after you, there is something you can do other than just walk away slowly.

I'll have to see how my asthma/endurance idea will work out, but I have a good feeling about it. :-D

The short answer is my fears were unfounded, and I think it is turning out well.
-Matt Gilgenbach
haitechan

Post by haitechan »

Procastinating sounds like me trying to finish my bachelor thesis. Two years later, I'm still procastinating to make another thesis for my license :lol:.
Reinik

Post by Reinik »

Oh man, my eternal dilemma: wanting/needing to do the thing but also not wanting to do the thing.

I sometimes use this site for a little extra motivation. It's fantasy RPG-themed to-do lists.