Vanishing of Ethan Carter vs. Neverending Nightmares

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
matt

Vanishing of Ethan Carter vs. Neverending Nightmares

Post by matt »

A game that I'm looking forward to, "Vanishing of Ethan Carter" has announced that it's releasing on September 25th. The end of September is when we were planning to release. I realize that VOEC is a different type of game (technically weird fiction instead of outright horror - at least apparently), but do you think its release will have any effect on Neverending Nighmares? Should we try to release before, after, or does it not matter?

Vanishing of Ethan Carter is weird because there is so little information about the game even though it's coming out soon. I think it's going to be cool, but it's hard to say if it's going to be a hit or what since they've kept their cards pretty close to their chest.

I'm curious what you guys think about the game and if it should affect the Neverending Nightmares release plans.

Thanks everyone!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
JPrice

Re: Vanishing of Ethan Carter vs. Neverending Nightmares

Post by JPrice »

Hmmmm well I mean there hasn't been much released on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter really aside from the one trailer and some previews. Even that makes the games mechanics kind of vague. Judging by what I've read however it seems that it's a different game compared to Neverending Nightmares.

I mean yes there are elements of horror and such in both but The Vanishing of Ethan Carter seems to focus more on the mystery solving aspect, so I imagine that it's more in line with traditional adventure games with things like investigation sections and item usage. Of course this is all speculation as I have no idea what the actual game looks like itself hahaa

So I don't think that it'll affect the release of Neverending Nightmares, considering that I think they both stand far enough apart that they can shoot for different audiences. Of course there may be some cross interest but then it'll just come down to a preference for mystery solving or psychological horror. In the end I think you should be fine anyway :)

Of course I'm interested in what other people think though!
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Oh wow, that was quick. I feel like I just heard about Vanishing of Ethan Carter a couple months ago. I've been halfway following what little information there is on the game, and I would have thought it'd be a 2015 release.

I'd think there would be some crossover interest for sure, it's a game that sounded like something I'd be into. As far as hurting the NN release, I wouldn't think so, but I have only a cursory understanding of how these things work. I don't think NN is going to be overshadowed by the game at all, but if possible, why take the chance of even a tiny glimmer of the spotlight being taken away? I was never good at sharing, so that's just my perspective :P

September 25th is a Thursday, which seems a little different. Were you planning to shoot for any specific day of the week? Maybe you could release NN a few days earlier and have more of that delicious Steam new release page and games journalism spotlight all to yourself.
matt

Post by matt »

My current plan for release date is emailing my Steam representative 3 weeks before we are ready to release and asking him when a good time to release is. hahaha All I know about Steam release dates is that Tuesdays are bad because that's when the AAA/retail games release. I was looking at September 30th, but that was apparently a bad choice. I'll see what our Steam rep has to say when I contact him about release plans in early September.

I am leaning towards later in September because we want to get builds out to streamers, reviewers, etc, etc earlier rather than later, and we need the extra time to polish the game. We'll probably be polishing right up until release...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to release before or after Ethan Carter. Maybe after might be good because you want to wait until people are in the halloween mood. *shrug*
matt

Post by matt »

Well, it's a tough call and one that I'll probably leave up to our steam rep, but we probably won't release into October because I think that will be too crowded. I think late September will have people in the Halloween spirit. At least I hope so!
-Matt Gilgenbach