The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
Harry Sunderland

Re: The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Post by Harry Sunderland »

Super World Karts looks to be an awesome SNES Mode 7 Style Kart Racing Game which has a ton of Indie Cameos (particularly Ouya stars) in it. It's also part of the FTG fund.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/on ... kart-racer

I will boast a little that through Twitter I was the one who hooked up the developer with Nicoll Hunt and played match-maker to get Tim Burr from Fist of Awesome added to the game :mrgreen: .

While we're on the subject, hey Matt, maybe you could get him to add Gabriel or Thomas to the game. I'm not sure how you'd feel about either being in a Kart Racer (they would look absolutely ridiculous in a go-kart), but maybe it should be worth considering.

Or maybe I'm just trying to make lightning strike twice :twisted: .
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Harry Sunderland wrote: While we're on the subject, hey Matt, maybe you could get him to add Gabriel or Thomas to the game. I'm not sure how you'd feel about either being in a Kart Racer (they would look absolutely ridiculous in a go-kart), but maybe it should be worth considering.

Or maybe I'm just trying to make lightning strike twice :twisted: .
Ridiculously AWESOME you mean? That would be hilarious.
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

Believe me I agree :mrgreen:
matt

Post by matt »

Lobster - as always, thank you for all the project recommendations! (Sorry, I've been super busy, so I'm behind on my forum posting)

I actually backed the original project from the "Super World Karts - Indie Kart Racer" creators. That one was just called "Super World Karts GP" and had some indie crossovers but less so than the new reluanched project.

The creators of Super Dwarf Madness asked to use Thomas from Neverending Nightmares (as did someone who was going to do an Ouya Smash Brothers), but I declined just because I feel like it's not a good fit for the serious tone of the game. I did say Super Dwarf Madness could use Rick Rocket from Retro/Grade though. Not sure if they will or not.

I wonder what became of that Ouya Smash Brothers project...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Ray's The Dead is now live.

I made a prettier version of the graphs for Neverending Nightmares. I also added two graphs about the $1 reward tier.
http://i.imgur.com/tR1pNIy.png

Hotline Miami - Jacket Figure is an articulated figure based on the player character from its namesake.

Vagante is a co-op 2D action platformer. It is a bit like Towerfall in feeling when it shows arrows flying.

Nefarious is a platformer with a villain as the main playable character.

Horror game Five Night's at Freddy's is an example of a project that didn't not provide enough information so it didn't get any backers. A Markiplier video shows there is some actual interesting ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOztnsBPrAA
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Frogdice has a Kickstarter going for their upcoming multiplayer online RPG Stash. They'll initially launch on PC as well as Ouya, since they're participating in the Free The Games fund. Frogdice is local to me, so I've seen them speak about game development before. They've been making games since 1996, so it's been interesting hearing their perspective.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fr ... x-consoles
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Here's another Free The Games Fund game--Royal Heroes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... e-and-more

I know one of the artists/voice actors, very talented guy. It will be on mobile too. I think strategy games are one of the few genres that control well on pretty much any device.
matt

Post by matt »

Lobster - thanks for providing that graph! It's super interesting. Can any interesting conclusions be drawn from the $1 tier?

There are some really interesting projects on kickstarter. Ray's the Dead is off to a really great start.
-Matt Gilgenbach
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

matt wrote:Lobster - thanks for providing that graph! It's super interesting. Can any interesting conclusions be drawn from the $1 tier?
Before Neverending Nightmares's campaign had even ended, it was obvious the $1 tier was helping it maintain its popularity ranking. The same effect was observed on Vanguard V. It was maintaining a high ranking, even though it wasn't doing well with funding, due to its $1 demo tier getting hundreds of backers.

Ray's The Dead is now working towards stretch goals. It is a bit confusing how hard it has been to get press. I was way too optimistic with my projections for how well the $30 tier would do before the campaign launched.
http://i.imgur.com/f3zzlaw.png

Stash: No Loot Left Behind did a hard reboot tactic that I do not like. The idea is that a project can reboot to game the popularity rankings for more exposure. The result is just stalling out again. Another game might be able to use that tactic more successfully, but it feels like this is a tactic that shouldn't be used.
http://i.imgur.com/26ckeaf.png
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/frogdi ... hart-daily

Jenny LeClue used some interesting tactics. The 48 hour challenge is something I'd like to see become more common. They found someone who would pledge an additional $1,000 if the campaign reached a specific funding point before a specific time.

There is an incoming Kickstarter campaign for Moon Hunters. This could be an interesting project because of its relationship with Square Enix.

My updated Kickstarter guide is approaching 30,000 words. The table of contents on its own is two and a half pages.

Kickstarter itself recently updated how the search works, how thumbnails are framed in the Discover section (A lot of projects now have parts cut off the bottom of their thumbnails) and the project creator dashboard now can select a specific hour to end.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm really glad I decided to to the $1 tier. It seems like so long ago we did the kickstarter, but I don't think I had any idea it'd help the popularity. Sometimes I pledge $1 to a campaign to get the updates and everything, so it seemed like a good idea to reward that. I guess it really helped us a ton!

Getting press is REALLY hard for any indie project. I emailed a ton of outlets who will be at PAX to check out my game, and I didn't get very many responses. Getting press for a kickstarter is MUCH harder. In general, I don't think the press is often willing to throw their support behind a kickstarter unless they REALLY want to see it succeed. We were very fortunate to get a number of supporters in the press on Neverending Nightmares just because of the personal story. I'm not sure the Free the Games fund controversy helped us (probably not - or at least not the original rules with 6 months of OUYA exclusivity), but it was something newsworthy.

I suspect with the high profile kickstarter disasters (Clang, Yogscast Adventures), the press is probably less likely to cover a kickstarter now than a year ago. It's almost a chicken and the egg type of thing. The press was lining up to cover Hyper Light Drifter once it achieved super kickstarter success. How did they get that without press coverage? I have no idea.

Still, I think Ray's the Dead is doing pretty well. I would recommend if they haven't already reaching out to do interviews about the development of the game - not "hey we are running a kickstarter". It might be tough to get responses from press these days though because it's a crazy time with Gamescom just ending and PAX picking up. At least I hope that's why they aren't returning my emails...
-Matt Gilgenbach