Steam Summer Sales: What have you bought?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
JPrice

Re: Steam Summer Sales: What have you bought?

Post by JPrice »

I already gave my impressions of Outlast: Whistleblower in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=516) but long story short if you liked Outlast and want more of the same then pick it up, if you didn't like Outlast then this DLC won't do anything for you reallly.

Also The Stanley Parable is really good. The amount of content in it is quite staggering, like I spent 2-3 hours on finding all the games endings and given that one playthrough can take like 10-15 minutes that's quite a lot of playthrough's hahaha. Doesn't hurt either that the game is really funny all throughout :)
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

matt wrote:Yeah, the Stanley Parable is super brilliant. It was funny because Davey gave me an early build, and it would crash when I tried to save, so I actually asked him if that was a bug or just part of the metagame? hahahaha
That's hilarious. The bug testers for that game must have had a really tough job.
JPrice wrote:I already gave my impressions of Outlast: Whistleblower in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=516) but long story short if you liked Outlast and want more of the same then pick it up, if you didn't like Outlast then this DLC won't do anything for you reallly.

Also The Stanley Parable is really good. The amount of content in it is quite staggering, like I spent 2-3 hours on finding all the games endings and given that one playthrough can take like 10-15 minutes that's quite a lot of playthrough's hahaha. Doesn't hurt either that the game is really funny all throughout :)
Oh thanks! I read through your impressions again, I'm definitely going to get it before it goes off sale.

I think I've stumbled on some really weird branches in the Stanley Parable, but it's hard to tell because sometimes things are... different when the game restarts.
matt

Post by matt »

It is amazing how many branches and different endings/special cases were programmed into the Stanley Parable. I couldn't figure them all out. I was reading about some of them, and they were things that I never would have thought of. Eventually, I kept ending up in the same 2 or 3 endings.

It is an absolutely brilliant game! I
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

J Price, I've spent enough money already, but I am dangerously close to buying Spec Ops the Line. I believe you're the one who always promotes it, and I'm super close to cracking and buying it on your recommendation. Sway me! :mrgreen:

Between GOG and Steam I've got the following (I've gone a bit crazy this year):

Octodad, which I beat and loved every second of it and wished there was more. That game really hit a chord with me, the aesthetic hit me right in the nostalgia feels.

Surgeon Simulator 2013: I bought this for my wife, who I think dismissed it in about five minutes. I haven't tried it much myself, but jeeze louise it's ridiculous using a keyboard key for each finger seperately.

Duck Tales: I love this game!! I'm really into the animation, and this is one of my favorite NES games.

Whistleblower: A good horror game...but nothing great.

The Cat Lady: Super excited about this one

The Real Texas: I live in Texas, and this game seemed so bizarre I had to say yes.

The Witcher 2: This was more of a safety buy (stupid move I know). I intend on playing Witcher soon, and so I got W2 in case I really love Witcher and would kick myself not getting the sequel so cheap.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted: This game peaked my interest based on name alone, and the more I read the more intrigued I became.

Jade Empire: I've been wanting to play this for years, and so I finally grabbed it.

Lego Harry Potter: My non-gamer wife claimed if I bought this she'd play it with me. Let's see if this pans out.
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Harry Sunderland wrote:J Price, I've spent enough money already, but I am dangerously close to buying Spec Ops the Line. I believe you're the one who always promotes it, and I'm super close to cracking and buying it on your recommendation. Sway me! :mrgreen:
Well ok, challenge accepted! Hahaha
Honestly I think it depends how much you're into to shooters and how sick of modern military shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor etc. If you do play shooters a fair bit and/or you're sick of MMS's then I think it's definitely something you should check out. I would recommend going into it not knowing anything for the full effect but I assume you already know about how it subverts the standard expectations of what happens within these MMS's. In case you don't though then I won't spoil it too much but how much you would enjoy the game is dependant on one question really, how interested are you in playing a game that asks what if all your actions within those MMS's had realistic consequences? If that interests you then definitely try it because it's a pretty unique experience narratively, as long as you can get over the average gameplay. It almost pans out like a horror game in some regards and there have even been some arguments in the game being classified as a horror game. Matt has a developer diary on it if you wanted to see what he thinks!

But yes I find it to one of my favourite shooters, although I can understand how some people wouldn't really find it that interesting even with the compelling narrative. If you see it on sale though and it interests you then definitely check it out :D
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I actually found Matt's review last night and ended up buying it while it was a Flash Deal. I'm excited to play it now!
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Cool, glad to hear!
Also I picked up The Wolf Among Us as it was on sale as well, so I'm all TellTale'd up as it were hahaha
miumiaou

Post by miumiaou »

I finally picked Alice: Madness return, I wish I could bought System Shock 1 and 2 too but I didn't have enough money
matt

Post by matt »

I added Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons to my collection because I heard it was touching and it was $2.99. hehehe I also finally broke down and got Kentucky Route Zero. I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to play it, but I guess I'll probably get around to it before they finish the 5th episode... I feel like it's going to be a while... :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

matt wrote:I added Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons to my collection because I heard it was touching and it was $2.99. hehehe I also finally broke down and got Kentucky Route Zero. I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to play it, but I guess I'll probably get around to it before they finish the 5th episode... I feel like it's going to be a while... :)
Oh Kentucky Route Zero is amazing, you just have to get in the right mindset to play it. It's best played through slowly when you're in the mood for something with that kind of pacing and can take the time to just soak it all in. It's kinda hard to get into at first, but once you go through the first couple scenes everything starts falling into place.

It's taken forever to release, so it's only up to Act 3 out of a planned 5 now, but what's released so far is really unique and beautiful. Just keep in mind it's not a Telltale-styled point and click, but rather a kind of bizarre blend of text based descriptions and low-detail but fantastic looking graphics. I'm curious about what you think of it when you get around to it, they're doing some very creative things with Unity, which I think is a big part of the reason it's taking so long to come out.