Any recommendations for a split screen co-op game?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
matt

Any recommendations for a split screen co-op game?

Post by matt »

I'm looking for something fun to play with my wife - probably console because PC doesn't really support split screen.

She mainly likes 1st and 3rd person shooters as well as platformers. She doesn't really like top down games though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Harry Sunderland

Re: Any recommendations for a split screen co-op game?

Post by Harry Sunderland »

My friend and I had a freaking blast playing "Bosses Forever 2.Bro" on Ouya. It's kind of a Mega Man X style game where you just fight bosses over and over again. It was enjoyable.

I also had a great time playing "Monaco" with some friends of mine. It's really frantic and has a great soundtrack.
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Portal 2 has a great split-screen co-op campaign if you haven't done that one already.

For 2D platformers you could try Rayman Legends or Rayman Origins. Or New Super Mario Bros. U.

Some might consider this blasphemous, but I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 and 6.
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Something that's a bit old but fun is Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivors, third-person isometric shooters with some VERY basic RPG-elements.
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Also, the Halo series still has split-screen co-op. Too bad it's went away for so many FPSes.
matt

Post by matt »

I begged my wife to play Monaco with me but she refused because it's top down. She got frustrated and wouldn't finish Portal 2 with me.

We've played Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros. U, Resident Evil 5 and 6, and all the Halo games.

Unfortunately, I think Shadowgrounds is too similar to a top down game for her. She apparently finds non first person, 3rd person or sidescrolling games confusing. :-/

I will have to see if she'll play "Bosses Forever 2.Bro".

Any other suggestions? :-D
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Split screen is kind of rare nowadays.
There are tons of cool coop-games now, but most of those are via internet or LAN or whatever, stuff like Sanctum 2, Orcs Must Die 2, Borderlands 2 etc., I dunno.
Besides the playstyle, what genre of games does she like?
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Any way to set up on-line multi-player in the same room, i.e. bring a laptop into your office?

Maybe you've played these Nintendo platformers as well, but there's New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Luigi U, and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Might be too difficult for your tastes, but Splosion Man and Ms. Splosion Man both have local co-op.

I think I might try the co-op in Trine 2 after I finish Super Mario 3D World.

Do you like lightgun type games? Then you could try Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, Deadspace: Extraction, or Sin And Punishment: Star Successor.

I guess we could try to think of older games, since you seem to have no shortage of classic systems. Secret Of Mana for the SNES comes to mind. When I was in college, I played co-op with a friend in Goemon's Great Adventure for the N64, and that was fun. The three TimeSplitters games all have split-screen co-op.
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

Neon Shadow is about as simple as quake, but I had fun playing that in coop with a friend on ouya.

It's a far cry from modern fps, but it's nice to just blow robots up.