General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
LobsterSundew

Re: Greenlit On Steam, thanks everyone!

Post by LobsterSundew »

Congratulations.
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks for all the congrats! We'll definitely be distributing the game DRM free through the humble store, but we will probably do alpha/beta builds through Steam just because it's wayyyyyy easier. Hopefully no backers at that level will object to it. That way I can focus more on making the game great rather than building patch tools, crash reporters, etc.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Stefan8000

Post by Stefan8000 »

wow, congrats. thats so great. automatic updates through steam. awesome.
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Eh, I do have Steam for various bundles I bought and a handful of games that are only available on it. I just try to avoid it when possible, so I really wouldn't mind the early access being Steam-only... as long as the final product will also be available DRM-free. Speaking of DRM-free, I mentioned GOG before in regards to Retro/Grade; are you planning on getting it on there as well if you're going to release a DRM-free version anyway? Just curious.
...no, I don't work for GOG, I just like their business model. :lol:
matt

Post by matt »

One potential sticking point with GoG is that I've heard they want exclusive content. I don't want to give anything to GoG that I wouldn't give to my backers...

In general, the problem with every digital distribution platform other than Steam is that they do such a small percentage of business on Steam, so unless your game is going to be quite successful, it's probably not worth even working out the contract just because the payout is so small.

It'd be great if there were more competition in digital distribution, but Steam has everyone beat in terms of ease of use by leaps and bounds (except maybe the Humble Store). Hopefully Neverending Nightmares will be successful enough to justify a release on other store fronts. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games