Achievements in NN?

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
RightClickSaveAs

Achievements in NN?

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I have a feeling I already know your answer for this game, as they don't seem to fit the design ideas you're going for at all, but I was wondering what you thought of Steam achievements and if you've considered them.

I was playing DreadOut a little bit again to try to find the secret ghosts, and I stumbled across a couple weird achievements. The game has a lot of 4th wall breaking jokey stuff like that. I don't generally mind achievements one way or the other, but they are very gamey, and remind you very clearly that you are in fact playing a game.
matt

Re: Achievements in NN?

Post by matt »

I am planning on having achievements, but basically one per ending, so the notifications don't pop up during the gameplay.

I really want people to explore all the endings, so I feel like achievements are a good way to push people to continue to explore the game after they get one ending.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Oh cool! That sounds like a good way to do achievements.

The DreadOut ones are just bizarre. There's one for taking a picture of UFOs in the sky that look like they're playing Pong.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, we definitely aren't going to have weird achievements for doing completely unrelated things to the gameplay. I think it can work depending on the type of game - like in an open world game for example, but I think it takes away from the atmosphere in a horror game.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

It blew my mind last night when I played Stanley Parable for the first time and saw there was an achievement for not playing the game for 5 years.
RightClickSaveAs

Harry Sunderland wrote:It blew my mind last night when I played Stanley Parable for the first time and saw there was an achievement for not playing the game for 5 years.
That's hilarious. I really need to buy The Stanley Parable, I had so much fun with it as a free mod.
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Hmmm well I wouldn't put achievements mid game really. Like you said it would detract from the immersion of the game by having it just pop up during gameplay.

I think having one for each ending is the best option really if you're looking to put achievements into the game :)
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Harry Sunderland wrote:It blew my mind last night when I played Stanley Parable for the first time and saw there was an achievement for not playing the game for 5 years.
And a bunch of people already have it through re-setting their system clocks. Cheaters. :evil: