Ouya to Partner with Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
Harry Sunderland

Ouya to Partner with Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

Post by Harry Sunderland »

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/06 ... to-199-99/

So the Ouya games will now be featured on Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

Is this good or bad news for NN. On the one hand, 2 GB ram and Tegra 4 cpu might be nice resources, but will this create extra work for the team?

Also, more potential customers (though I don't know anyone who actually owns that thing haha).

Either way, I'm excited my favorite platform is growing.
matt

Re: Ouya to Partner with Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

Post by matt »

I suspect Neverending Nightmares would run on the MOJO without issue. However, I'd want to take advantage of the extra horsepower and create different graphics settings that took advantage of the increase in power, so there will be some extra work involved.

My larger worry is the Ouya Anywhere idea... If they support platforms other than Tegras, it's going to be a real pain for developers because we have to check what capabilities the platform has and figure out how to use them. For example, we use Coverage Sampling Anti-Aliasing on Ouya, which is basically only supported by Tegra chipsets. If they moved to PowerVR (like what is in the iPad for example), we'd have to use a different anti-aliasing scheme. I don't really know to what extent they are supporting Ouya ANYWHERE, but the more variety of hardware they support, the larger the burden is on developers.

I am terrified of releasing on the general Android store for example (as are most people) just because there are too many hardware revisions to support. That was the great part about Ouya - fixed hardware and a separate store. At least they'll still have a separate store, but not having fixed hardware might be opening up a can of worms.

In addition, I suspect two big microconsoles (Amazon and Google) will use their own stores and won't support Ouya Anywhere, which could be a bummer if they really catch on.

Ouya should talk to Nvidia about getting on the Shield. That would be interesting since it is a handheld rather than just another microconsole.

My two cents anyway!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games