Getting reaction videos for promoting the game?

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
matt

Getting reaction videos for promoting the game?

Post by matt »

Kellee Santiago (of thatgamecompany fame) is now at Ouya and is really gung ho about marketing Neverending Nightmares. That sounds good to me. I suck at marketing and don't really think about it that much!

She suggested that I start collecting reaction video shots of people playing Neverending Nightmares. That sounds like a brilliant idea! I think that would really help show the scariness of the game and they are always entertaining.

What do you guys think? Is that something you can help me with? I imagine most of you have already played the kickstarter demo or the alpha build (which are very similar), so I'm not sure it'll have the entertaining genuine jump scare reaction. We will add new content to the alpha build that will hopefully get some good reactions, but that probably won't be for a month or so. (Next up is the enemy prototype, which is too rough around the edges to be scary I think)

I was thinking perhaps you might be able to draft friends, siblings, grandparents, significant others, spouses, etc, who haven't played the game and get their reactions. Perhaps they might produce some interesting reactions.

Can anyone find willing participants? We would want to use the video for promotional purposes of the game, so for it to be helpful, you (or your victim) would have to be okay with that.

Thanks everyone! You're the greatest!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
miumiaou

Re: Getting reaction videos for promoting the game?

Post by miumiaou »

I'll eventually try with my sister (who still haven't play the game)
matt

Post by matt »

Awesome! I'd really appreciate it. :-D
-Matt Gilgenbach
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Well I'd love to give you some reaction shots from the game!
I could probably record every Alpha build playthrough I do, just to make sure that I capture every scary reaction haha :D

Assuming that you don't have too many Alpha builds out of course!
Although it'd probably be easier if you give us a heads up on which builds have a good amount of scares/surprises when they come out :) But I'll be sure to record reactions for ya Matt!
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

Awesome, thanks! I will let you know when we have more scary content. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Heh, not a candidate for it. My mug in combination with my rather monotone voice wouldn't produce a flashy reaction even if I was playing this for the first time. Too many jumpscare horror games in my past. :lol:

Also, NN is more about the atmosphere, anyway, or so it seems so far at least.
matt

Post by matt »

No worries! I don't jump scare easily either, but when I do, I really enjoy it.

I would agree that the atmosphere is the main thing, but I think for those who get startled easily, jump scares are a good way to add tension. We are working on the first level now, and I'm trying to make it a bit less tense than the current level we have (which will be the second level). I'm interested to see how it is received. While perhaps for hooking people on the game, starting out with a Silent Hill 3 style high tension intro might be better. However, I want to take a more Silent Hill 2 style approach with the theme being descent. As you progress through the game, things will get more and more tense. :) Maybe I should record a developer diary about that.

Since we have to do a demo on Ouya, and the first level is the obvious choice, it might be a bit more problematic since people might assume the game isn't scary enough. Doing demos is REALLY hard, and I'm really glad Steam doesn't require them.
-Matt Gilgenbach
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

I think Erie's pitch video is a good example for the type of video they want to see. I was one of just 23 backers and it was disappointing to see so little support for that project before it was cancelled.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, I think something like that would be great. We already have playthroughs from PewDiePie and Markiplier, so we could draw from that, but more videos would probably be even better.

That is a shame that Erie cancelled their kickstarter. I would have gladly backed it had I knew about it. I hope they keep working on the game!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I would offer, but I think my handsome mug would just make your viewers swoon instead of feeling fear/tension. Then again, perhaps Infinitap Games could benefit from winning over the Tiger Beat crowd. ;)