Preferred Linux Distro?

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
matt

Re: Preferred Linux Distro?

Post by matt »

I feel like if you are hardcore enough to run Gentoo, then you can figure out how to get the game running. :-P

Thanks for the info! We will only be supporting x86. It'll be a 32 bit binary, but we'll make sure it runs on 64 bit editions. Right now we are using the included 32-bit libraries with Steam, but we'll have to figure out how to install our dependencies.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

SteamOS beta launched today, and it's based off Debian 7.1 Wheezy. I'm not a Linux guy, so I don't know the significance of that, but I thought I'd share:

http://steamdb.info/blog/35/
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

The version of Debian that SteamOS is being built on was initially released back in June 2013 instead of the more recent one released in October 2013. Some people are complaining about the use of an older version, but Debian is known for how stable its releases become and this should be a good solid base. There is the option to switch from Big Picture Mode to GNOME to get a desktop environment which is great to have.

It looks like Valve went for lean and stable. There is a customized compositor based on Xcompmgr which is lightweight. I had never heard of that compositor before so that was one of the most interesting things for me.
matt

Post by matt »

Exciting! I'll probably wait a little for the dust to settle before I mess around with it. I had enough trouble getting Ubuntu installed on my work machine, so I'm a little wary about trying to install a bleeding edge linux distro.

Is anyone running it? Does Neverending Nightmares work on it? :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
sunsetbrew

Post by sunsetbrew »

matt wrote:Exciting! I'll probably wait a little for the dust to settle before I mess around with it.

Wise choice