23 - Philippines Slide Show

Developer diaries about creating Devastated Dreams.
matt

23 - Philippines Slide Show

Post by matt »

In this video, I show some pictures I took on my trip to the Philippines to give some insight into what things are like there.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 23 - Philippines Slide Show

Post by evilkinggumby »

you know what i think is a bit missing from DD? that juxtaposition you had going to the Philippines. Upon first sight, looking at the resort and beaches and views from the plane you get this beautiful "tropics" kind of vibe. A glorious vacation spot, exotic, great vistas, big fruity drinks and friendly folk.

and then as ytou soak in the culture and tour the outskirts.. a deeper understanding, and a lingering dread begins to set in.

See I think PART of what made Dead Island a fun and interesting game was the fact it took the zombie horror and tossed it into a fairly "resort" atmosphere, away were we from the dingy buildings and rotting cities and collaspsing hospitals. Now we were seeing suitcases and palm tree's and sunny beaches..covered in viscera. The juxtaposition and sheer uniquity just made what was essentially another 'left for dead' feel fresh and interesting.. least enough to play through to the end of the first game. (after that.well.. yeah.. lost cause).

It seems like you have something in store for the prologue, a way of getting some pre-story in and help with the setup. Were you planning to sort of also imbue the audience with a sense of awe and beauty for the jungle and the people and stuff? I guess even if you started out in more of a "normal" settting and then slowly had the atmosphere and situation creep towards what we saw in the demo, that would work too. I like the idea of transition and the twisting of what was originally lush beautiful tropic vacationland into what could realistically be a fight for your life maze of terror. :)

otherwise, good pics. too bad you got so few, and that you sunburn so damn easily. lol
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Re: 23 - Philippines Slide Show

Post by matt »

That is a cool idea, but given the game is kind of a slow burn anyway, I'm not sure people would give us the benefit of the doubt if we had lots of "ordinary" stuff in the beginning. It is something we might play with in a later level where things start our normal and then get worse. Thanks for the feedback!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games