17 - Authenticity

Developer diaries about creating Devastated Dreams.
matt

17 - Authenticity

Post by matt »

In this developer diary, I talk about how a team of Americans is working hard to create a game based on the Philippines that feels authentic.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 17 - Authenticity

Post by evilkinggumby »

I think the fact you have taken the time to research your subject matter AND visited it AND have family and a spouse from there, you have a lot of resources and information to get the details right. That doesn't mean you cannot completely botch it and piss off those folk outright, but the chances for being insensitive to them is lessened significantly.

your efforts do seem sincere though. :)
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks! In the end, all I can do is my best. So far, everyone who is Filipino or Filipino American seems excited by the game, so I am happy about that.

Honestly, it wasn't even something I considered until I was asked in an interview if I felt that I was "exploiting" the location of the Philippines. I was really surprised because I felt like I was doing the opposite, but at the very least, I feel like it is worth saying that we are trying really hard to be true to the subject matter.
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

yeah i think the idea of "exploiting" woudl come more into play if you used the landscape and the people as a more generic backdrop of a boogie men/terrible place to be. like if the ssles pitch for the game was

"One lost american woman, pregnant and desperate to get back to civilization, fights for her life amidst a jungle of dangers, both natural and unnatural. Will she be able to save her child from the natives? will she get past the aswang monstrosities lurking in the jungles? Play Devastated Dreams now and see the true horror of Filipino life, based on real events, and as witness by Angela, a middle class suburban housewife thrust into extraordinary circumstances!!"

THAT.. seems more exploitative. that is NOT anything like what you are doing, IMO.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I'm curious to see how it will be received by Filipino players. I think it was talked about already how it's not a huge market, but I have been seeing some comments here and there on Youtube and in the Kickstarter comments sections by people who live in the Phillipines, and it seems largely positive so far (most of them seem to be talking to people about how Aswangs and so forth are a real part of the folklore).
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, I've received nothing but positive feedback. I've gotten several kickstarter messages that were very supportive from Filipinos. I also might get an interview or a write up on http://www.rappler.com/ which is a local Filipino news site. :)

However, I kind of want to play EvilKingGumby's game. It looks really awesome!
-Matt Gilgenbach