13 - Filipino Folklore

Developer diaries about creating Devastated Dreams.
matt

13 - Filipino Folklore

Post by matt »

Find out more about the Filipino folklore that inspired Devastated Dreams and the challenges of making a game that draws on folklore

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Re: 13 - Filipino Folklore

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I had no idea how varied and unique their folklore was. I thought I knew a lot about the common monster mythologies, but I'd never heard of any of these until you brought them up as part of the game. That's one of the great things about gaming, games can introduce you to stuff you've never had experiences with. Looking forward to seeing how the others will be implemented.

Also I've been watching the newest season of The Strain, and was really surprised to see "Aswang" pop up there very briefly. In the last episode, Setrakian is poring over some of his ancient books looking for information about killing vampires, and very quickly on the page you can see "aswang" mentioned. I wouldn't have even noticed it normally, but now that it's a big part of the game, I'm curious to see if it pops up anywhere else for me.
matt

Re: 13 - Filipino Folklore

Post by matt »

I haven't seen the last episode yet, so I'll be on the look out for it! :) I'm glad to hear that they are influencing American pop culture. I can think of two other examples. In Grimm, they fought an aswang in the Season 3 episode "Mommy Dearest" (I think it was supposed to be a tik tik) Marvel outsourced some characters to Japanese animation studios, and in the Blade anime thing, he goes to the Philippines and fights manananaggals.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games