11 - Why the Philippines?

Developer diaries about creating Devastated Dreams.
matt

11 - Why the Philippines?

Post by matt »

The Philippines is a unique setting for the game. In this dev diary, I talk about why it's interesting and meaningful to me.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 11 - Why the Philippines?

Post by evilkinggumby »

I am going to spend a lot of time looking at how you represent and convey the Filipino villages and lifestyle in the game. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the lives of my kinsfolk on reservations in the US. I like that you admit their life feels frightening and "alien" to you, but it seems unfair to just say they live this life entirely out of poverty. I haven't been to the Philippines, but I know in many areas of the world, and for my own people, some live a simple life like you saw not out of poverty but out of choice, because life is less complicated, less stressful and "busy". they look at people like us buzzing around all day and all night and never stopping to appreciate nature, simple sunsets, the smell of blatanos fresh off the vines, etc etc. To them, what we have is not "better" but in many ways worse. I have a deep respect for those choosing that kind of life because they are often in touch with the world and nature in ways most folk have forgotten.

the fact you will likely look at those villages as some hellish, frightening, poor, uncomfortable, unsecured place is actually an interesting contrast, but I fear it may display those people through a cracked filter and accidentally convey to gamers that " this is how Filipinos outside of the city live, in straw huts with candles and miserable".

Luckily you do cite your wife will be watching and giving input along the way, so I don't fear for that as much. I trust she will help guide you to hold true to your vision, but not by sacrificing her people.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Re: 11 - Why the Philippines?

Post by matt »

I am pretty sure I qualified that statement with a probably or something. I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth. My wife who is Filipino thinks that most people in the Philippines live that way because of poverty, but we didn't do an exhaustive study or anything. I'm not saying any sort of lifestyle is better. I'm just saying what is unfamiliar can be frightening.

There are some interesting protected settlements on the Philippines with the "native" islanders (since there are a ton of Spanish and Chinese immigrants) that still practice their customs. I thought that was really interesting, but we obviously didn't get to see that since they don't want tourists on their part of the island.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games