Ask your Devastated Dreams questions here!

Let's chat about what you want from our next game. :)
matt

Ask your Devastated Dreams questions here!

Post by matt »

I want to keep some surprises because we are planning to launch a demo with the kickstarter campaign, but I probably forgot to say some really important things about the game in what I've written so far, so I'd love to find out what you are curious about to make sure it's on the kickstarter page. :)

Thank you so much everyone!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: Ask your Devastated Dreams questions here!

Post by evilkinggumby »

Ohh i got a nice ol pile of questions. I will cull them down to a few so I don't drive you nuts just yet. :)

1: is the main character actually a native to the phillipines and the location she is seeing in the game or more of a tourist seeing the location for the first time. (i.e. is her take on it more your wife, or you, in seeing the village and woods?)

2: Are you planning to do more with the face/head on the character in the final game?

3: Is this teaser a pre pre pre alpha and likely most of these assets will change, or is it fairly indicative of the entire game (shaders and lighting aside).

4: are you going to get into much body horror in this? the concept is rife with possibilities to get as subtle or grotesque as one could imagine and make the experience truly horriffic?

5: will you get gun shy if you see too many people say the game hits too close to home?

6: will you be able to complete this game if something DOES happen with your current pregnancy? Is it a good idea to plan a major project that is so close to your current actual experiences, as if something DID go terribly wrong (and i am by no means saying it will happen, I would hate to see it, but possibilities abound) in all likelihood you'd have difficulty returning to it and facing the project daily?

7: some of the teaser clips show the character pregnant, some she is not. was that intentional? should the game have trigger warnings if it examines miscarriage, abortion, or fetal mortality?
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Re: Ask your Devastated Dreams questions here!

Post by matt »

1) Yes, she's a Filipino born and raised. We tried to capture Filipino features as best as we could with a cartoon, but that is really challenging.
2) I hope to do more animations for the face/head, but we'll see how things go. In particular, I'd love to have her head tilt up when she aims the flashlight up, but that is going to be a bit challenging to work out.
3) I think it's fairly indicative. It's actually been a much slower process to get art that we are happy with than Neverending Nightmares, so we are pretty much set on our path given we've sunk so much time into it.
4) I'm not sure. I like body horror in general, but I'm not sure how much makes sense for the game given that we are trying to keep it somewhat grounded - at least at the beginning of the game. I'm not quite sure where we will end up when we do the later levels.
5) Probably not. I think it is something that would be hard to change, and I'm not sure I'd want to.
6) I imagine I would, but I expect the ending would change and it would probably be even darker...
7) Yes that was intentional. I'm not sure if it will explicitly explore those issues in a way that might warrant a trigger warning, but I guess we'll see. I'm not opposed to it, but since it is told through nightmares, in some she's pregnant and in others she is not. A trigger warning might give clues as to why that is or at least lead people into making potentially false assumptions about it, so I'd rather not.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games