Problem with DEB packaging on 64-bit Kubuntu 14.04

Please post any bugs you find in this subforum - one bug per topic. This will make it easier for us to any issues. Thank you for your help!
Forum rules
Please post any bugs you find in this subforum - one bug per topic. This will make it easier for us to any issues. Thank you for your help!
ven42

Problem with DEB packaging on 64-bit Kubuntu 14.04

Post by ven42 »

Hi. I purchased Neverending Nightmares a while back from the Humble Store, but unfortunately I'm only just now getting around to trying it out. I'm looking forward to playing the game, but I'm having trouble installing the DEB package I just freshly downloaded from my Humble Store account.

Package version: neverending-nightmares_2.1.21034.deb

The problem is that when I go to install the DEB, the package manager wants to rip out my entire audio system in order to get Neverending Nightmares installed. I realize that the game has been compiled as 32-bit binaries, which should be fine because 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 (and all variant flavors) systems support multi-arch for running i386 binaries on the amd64 architecture. Most of the game's 32-bit dependencies can be resolved without conflicting with 64-bit packages, but there is one that is incompatible.

I took apart the package to see what was causing the issue, and I believe it's the dependency on pulseaudio:i386. The main pulseaudio package in Ubuntu 14.04 is not multi-arch compatible, meaning that the i386 version cannot be installed at the same time as the amd64 version. In order to resolve all dependencies, the package manager would need to remove 64-bit pulseaudio and all of its dependencies, then install the 32-bit versions in their places. Because this would have serious ramifications on my system, I'm forced to abort the installation.

Parts of PulseAudio support multi-arch, but not the main package. Do you think that you might be able to re-package a new version of Neverending Nightmares that declares dependencies on only the components of PulseAudio that your game actually needs? I'm not sure what the required packages would be, but libpulse0 comes to mind as a likely candidate, and that package does support multi-arch.

Please let me know if you need any more information from my end, and I'll be happy to provide it.

Also, I should note that the pulseaudio package dropping multi-arch compatibility is something new that happened in 14.04. The 12.04 pulseaudio package still supports multi-arch, and I have another computer that's still running that version of Kubuntu 64-bit. I was able to successfully get the DEB installed on that system, though I've hit a different bug at runtime there. I'll report that in a separate thread...

Thanks for your help.
matt

Re: Problem with DEB packaging on 64-bit Kubuntu 14.04

Post by matt »

Sorry for the slow response. I've passed this along to our linux programmer, and I'll see what we can do.

I'm so sorry for the trouble!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ven42

Post by ven42 »

Just to update the publicly viewable information on this bug: Matt and I have been working over e-mail on this issue. He was kind enough to supply me with an updated DEB that solved the originally reported problem. Once he gets a chance, I imagine he'll also update the version available for download from the Humble Store.

Thanks to Matt and Infinitap Games for supporting Linux! It's much appreciated.
matt

Post by matt »

The latest build is available on the Humble Store. Thank you to ven42 for helping us track down the issue! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games