Windows 10- Game Crashes on startup

Please post any bugs you find in this subforum - one bug per topic. This will make it easier for us to any issues. Thank you for your help!
Forum rules
Please post any bugs you find in this subforum - one bug per topic. This will make it easier for us to any issues. Thank you for your help!
amit233

Windows 10- Game Crashes on startup

Post by amit233 »

Hi Forum,

I upgraded from Win 7 HP to Win 10 day before. I reinstalled steam and the game Neverending Nightmare through it. Windows 10- Game Crashes on startup. Message "Neverending Nightmare has crashed"

Do we have any fix for this?

Thank you.
matt

Re: Windows 10- Game Crashes on startup

Post by matt »

Are you on Steam or a DRM-Free build? Basically I think you want to reinstall the game. On Steam to do that, you right click and select "Delete Local content...". On DRM free builds, you can just remove it from Add/remove programs. The game has been confirmed to work on Windows 10, but what I suspect is happening is that there is an issue with its dependencies. It probably can't find the right version of MSVC redistributes...

The only other thing it could be is a bad graphics card driver, so maybe get the latest from your vendor rather than the one from Windows Update. What graphics card do you have?

Thanks, and I'm so sorry for the trouble!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

one thing to check is if you have run the full updates for windows 10.

Matt- do you know if the game ever required any of the microsoft C+++ redistributable packs for it to work? Or any other similar stuff? Is it dependent on anything tertiary for direct x?

I don't have windows 10 yet (i have a test rig en route currently) but maybe try gling to the Neverending nightmares.exe file and right clicking to see if you can run it in windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode?
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Post by matt »

It actually doesn't rely on DirectX for anything but gamepad input, and I think it may be able to run without a DX install. (If you use DX 9.0, they you are tied to a particular update, which can get messy)

Our main dependency is Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime 2012, which you can try manually downloading and installing from here. Dan suspects it's probably a graphics card driver issue though, so maybe updating those will be enough to fix it.
-Matt Gilgenbach
amit233

Post by amit233 »

Hi Matt, Hi evilkinggumby,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I have a Steam build with me. I checked all the things you asked me to.

My Nvidia GeForce Experience was apparently not updated. Now I tried updating my gfx drivers and it worked.... :)

Thanks a ton guys :)
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

awesome. enjoy the horror!!!
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
amit233

Post by amit233 »

Indeed I will, I love this game. Can relate it to some of the nightmares I have...

My Gfx (Nvidia Geforce GT 540M) drivers aren't supporting the game I suppose. Even though I updated the Nvidia gfx drivers to the latest 353.62, the game crashes on Startup.

Just to add something if people encounter such issues with a Nvidia gfx on a Laptop with Windows 10 upgraded, I got the game's exe to run on integrated Intel Gfx (see Screenshot).

I didn't find any change in the look and feel after switching.

May be later I will try again with a new Nvidia gfx driver and update you all how it went.

Until then, thank you all. Ciao...
Attachments
Disable gfx for Windows 10
Disable gfx for Windows 10
Solution for me.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 6654 times
matt

Post by matt »

We optimized the game to run on Intel Integrated Graphics so you aren't missing out on anything. There is a graphics setting with Normal and Extreme, but I can't really tell the difference to be honest. haha

I hope you enjoy the game!
-Matt Gilgenbach