0.7 Can't get game to run

Please post any bugs you find in this subforum - one bug per topic. This will make it easier for us to any issues. Thank you for your help!
Forum rules
Please post any bugs you find in this subforum - one bug per topic. This will make it easier for us to any issues. Thank you for your help!
ranger_lennier

0.7 Can't get game to run

Post by ranger_lennier »

I've obviously ran the game before, but after the 0.7 update went out, I couldn't get it to start. I go to the game in my Steam library, click Play, and a message box pops up that says "Preparing to launch Neverending Nightmares". My cursor spins for a few seconds to indicate that the computer's doing something, then the spinning stops, the message box closes, and nothing else happens--no game, no error message either. I tried uninstalling it and redownloading, but after it downloaded, I had the same problem. I tried starting a couple of different games on Steam and was able to play those. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what all information you might need, but I'm running Windows 7 x64.

If anyone mentioned this in the Beta forum, I won't have seen it, since I'm trying to avoid spoilers until I play it myself.
matt

Re: 0.7 Can't get game to run

Post by matt »

Hi Ranger,

I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems with the 0.7 build. That is super strange! What video card do you have? Perhaps we changed something that is causing issues with creating the window. If you have a fancy NVidia or AMD card, can you check the control panel and make sure everything is set to use application's settings? At least on Retro/Grade, 90% of our problems are caused by those control panels... :-/

I guess the other thing I always recommend is make sure you have the latest drivers. Sometimes that fixes issues although if 0.6 worked, then that doesn't seem like it'll fix it, but I guess you never know!

*Edit*: Dan says it might be related to save game or settings corruption. To sort that out, go here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Infinitap Games\Neverending Nightmares and copy your settings.config somewhere else. Can you send it to us? I guess email (back@infinitapgames.com) would be easiest. Then try running it again. Hopefully it works then.

I'm so sorry for the trouble! Let me know what card you have and if any of these things worked, and we'll try and sort it out.

Thanks!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. I did use the Nvidia GeForce Experience program to update to the latest drivers--GeForce 340.52. These were only released on July 29, so I would have updated after playing the 0.6 build.

"If you have a fancy NVidia or AMD card, can you check the control panel and make sure everything is set to use application's settings?" Could you be more specific about what you want me to do here? I have the GeForce Experience and the Nvidia Control Panel programs, but I didn't see this option. I always have to resize one of my displays after I update the drivers, but other than that I don't recall changing anything from the defaults.

I moved the settings.config file and that didn't help. There's not much in it, but I'll e-mail it to that address.
AironNeil

Post by AironNeil »

ranger_lennier wrote:I've obviously ran the game before, but after the 0.7 update went out, I couldn't get it to start. I go to the game in my Steam library, click Play, and a message box pops up that says "Preparing to launch Neverending Nightmares". My cursor spins for a few seconds to indicate that the computer's doing something, then the spinning stops, the message box closes, and nothing else happens--no game, no error message either. I tried uninstalling it and redownloading, but after it downloaded, I had the same problem. I tried starting a couple of different games on Steam and was able to play those. Any ideas?
I remember I had a similar problem in an earlier build, how I solved it was by restarting steam. When the next build came out the problem stopped happening for me, though.
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

ranger_lennier wrote:I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. I did use the Nvidia GeForce Experience program to update to the latest drivers--GeForce 340.52. These were only released on July 29, so I would have updated after playing the 0.6 build.

"If you have a fancy NVidia or AMD card, can you check the control panel and make sure everything is set to use application's settings?" Could you be more specific about what you want me to do here? I have the GeForce Experience and the Nvidia Control Panel programs, but I didn't see this option. I always have to resize one of my displays after I update the drivers, but other than that I don't recall changing anything from the defaults.
I believe it's this screen on the Nvidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings:

And make sure everything that has that option is set to "Application controlled". They should be by default, I know I hardly ever change anything.
matt

Post by matt »

I've been working with Ranger offline, and this particular issue is actually one with Steam. The Steam API initialization is failing, and I have no idea why. I guess re-running Steam would be a good potential fix. I emailed him a few other ideas we got from the Steam developer's forum.

Thank you all for volunteering your suggestions! You guys are the best! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

It finally started running again after reinstalling the Steam client. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but hopefully it won't repeat.
matt

Post by matt »

I suspect something was corrupt with your Steam installation. It happens I guess. I'm just glad you can play the game now! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach