Beta 0.7 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion of the game should go here. Let's keep the rest of the forum free from spoilers! :-)
matt

Re: Beta 0.7 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by matt »

Thanks for your feedback on the menus. We'll see if we can't address some of your ideas. It might be nice to have the volume sliders. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

The new level looks great! It feels like the Asylum but has it's own distinctive style.

I found the alternate path difficult to find. If I wasn't looking for it I definitely wouldn't have found it, my mind just doesn't register the door during the flash of light. I'm thinking it's going to be missed by most people, especially new players. Is that what you were going for though, is the idea to save the alternate endings for replays? If not I'd say move the door towards the player more and draw attention to it, I stopped when the flash of light happened so it wasn't really on the screen the first time.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm not really sure what I'm going for. There is no TRUE ending, so I'm not opposed to first time players finding it, but I like the idea of things being a little hidden to encourage exploration. I think it's great if people looking through every nook and cranny and pick up on the little touches of the level, but I also don't want it to require a walkthrough. Hmm... I'm torn!

Well, let's see what other people say on the survey, and I might move the door closer in the flash scene, so it's more apparent.

Thank you for your feedback! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

I did find the new branch on my first try, though I doubt I would have if I hadn't been specifically looking for it. The key thing was that I noticed a colored doorknob during that flash. So if you want to make it more noticeable, extending the flash period would be the most obvious way.

I noticed that when you pause the game, the menu defaults to "Save and Quit". It seems to me that "Resume" should be the default. I would probably be pressing start for a short pause more often than not, and it would be pretty annoying for a player to accidentally exit the game.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm glad to hear it was easy for you to find. I think the Save and Quit is only the default if that is where your mouse cursor is. I'll give some thought of the best way to handle that. Thanks for your feedback!
-Matt Gilgenbach
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

I always play with a controller, so I didn't even remember that the mouse could do anything in the game.