Game Bug: Candlestick crash [SPOILER/ALPHA 0.1]

Discussion of the game should go here. Let's keep the rest of the forum free from spoilers! :-)
matt

Re: Game Bug: Candlestick crash [SPOILER/ALPHA 0.1]

Post by matt »

Northwings wrote:Although that may confuse people, maybe they won't realize they can run when they should.
That is my worry... Perhaps if I just make the run even less effective, then it'll be less of an issue. Before I consider that, I might implement some of the other suggestions for the run - ie. slow down the player as the stamina decreases and maybe give the player less stamina (maybe in general or maybe in specific situations).

Thanks for your feedback! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Lachian

Post by Lachian »

Hey Matt,

I get the Candlestick crash as well. Using Steam and tried it twice both times it encountered an error.

Specs: Mac 10.9
Macbook Pro
Core i5 2.3 GHZ
8GB Ram

About the run mechanic I liked your idea in the video about having it work one way on certain non critical parts and then another way in critical (monster) areas or in areas that you want us to think there is a monster :)

I think the run is important especially is one is lost or just wants to explore some of the rooms in the home. Also I liked the interactive part in the first bedroom's bathroom sink - not sure if I missed that in the demo or if that is new.

Thanks,

Dwight
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Hahaha feel free to steal my slow down idea Matt, I don't mind :P

I'll run through the demo again tomorrow to see if there's anything more to add but I'm pretty sure everyone else has said mostly everything hahaa :D
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

The lighting is looking really good, I love that you can have 3 different light sources all casting shadows simultaneously. The shadow overlayed on the character from the windows and the rain animation both look fantastic.

That one section of the house you talked about having changed in the video, I've always noticed since the public demo; you go “up” through the door, but in the room you enter, you're facing to the left. Is that intentional? It's a little disorienting, unless that was the idea to give it a sort of nightmarish feeling, because it works that way as well. It's just none of the other rooms seem to do that.

Run mechanic:
I like the direction the run mechanic is going. It seems enough of a hassle to discourage using it constantly. Although, and it may have just been because I've played the demo and now the Alpha at least a couple times each, but I found myself running a lot. I'd like to know other people's opinion on this issue to see if it's just me, but the default walk seems painfully slow given the size of some of the hallways, and having a run option brings that even more into focus. Are there any plans to speed up the walk a little?

I tried my best to find any game breaking bugs but didn't run across anything major! I did find a few minor things, but these may just go under the category of animation polish, apologies if they're already known:
  • In most any room with a door on the left or right, it's possible to get the character to run in place like he's on a treadmill. You're not actually stuck, but if you go to a corner and hold down the left or right movement key, he'll walk upwards against the wall until he gets to a certain spot, and then will flip away from the door and walk in place as you press the direction key/button. I captured a couple quick videos to show what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zycjcz-bPk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTcp9f3uUF0
  • In the room with the desk, the one where you find the candle, the topmost door seems to have a bit of invisible level geometry that pushes you away from the wall a bit as you walk towards it. A very minor thing but it feels like you have to walk around something invisible to get back to the door.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66g6FAkKR0w
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

matt wrote:
gagaplex wrote:- You can still "get a seizure" when in the attic and trying to walk back down the stairs.
This is news to me. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "get a seizure"?
I got this too, I tried to record it but it doesn't show on the video (spooky!), but what happens for me is if you turn around and try to go back down the stairs in the last room/attic, the screen will flash really quickly, like that room is being reloaded or something?

EDIT: I managed to capture the flashing this time, here's a video: http://youtu.be/WwAw4AII718
EDIT again: It looks like it's briefly reloading the hallway at the bottom of the stairs
matt

Post by matt »

Lachian wrote:I get the Candlestick crash as well. Using Steam and tried it twice both times it encountered an error.
Hmm... On my MacBook Pro, I am able to pick up the candle without crashing. :-/ I suppose I can try upgrading to 10.9 and see if that makes a difference. Is everyone getting the crash on Mac OS?

Thanks!

-Matt

UPDATE: Fixed double post! I don't follow my own rules. D'oh!
RightClickSaveAs wrote:The lighting is looking really good, I love that you can have 3 different light sources all casting shadows simultaneously. The shadow overlayed on the character from the windows and the rain animation both look fantastic.
Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for the bugs with videos! That is very helpful. I know the issue for the office door, and it's totally Joe's fault. He already has a bug in our database. Dan and I will try to sort out the rest of them. :)
Last edited by matt on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt Gilgenbach
pandy91

Post by pandy91 »

matt wrote:Wow! You guys got the alpha build before it was officially released. hahaha It was supposed to launch today. The humble stuff was set up earlier, and I guess that meant it went live. Whoops! I didn't realize that it would be instant on for everyone on their humble account without resending the key e-mail. We've had test versions up on Steam for a while, but we wanted to get everything all set up to launch simultaneously with Ouya.
pandy91 wrote:When I go to pick up the candlestick the game crashes!
matt wrote:Does it happen very time? What platform are you playing the game on?
Hah, I didn't realize. I just noticed the game was available by accident.
Each time I've started the game I always get to the candlestick and the game crashes when I go to pick it up. (I could attempt it a fourth time but I have a feeling it'll happen again.)
I'm using Windows 7 so I have not idea why I've had the game crash. Is it possible I installed the game wrong? I doubt it as I play it through Steam though.
Lachian

Post by Lachian »

On my MacBook Pro, I am able to pick up the candle without crashing. :-/ I suppose I can try upgrading to 10.9 and see if that makes a difference.
Let me try it out on my other 10.9 system first and then get back to you. I can also boot the macbook into Win 7 to see if it is an OS issue or something odd.

Thanks,

Dwight
matt

Post by matt »

Crashes on Windows are great because Steam logs back minidumps. (They don't unfortunately on Mac and Linux)

We got a few, so hopefully one of them is the candle crash. I'll get back to you on that. :-D
-Matt Gilgenbach
curindesu

Post by curindesu »

Everything seems to be looking good so far Matt. the basics have already been covered but in my own opinion i find the sprinting sound (heavy breathing) to be quit loud comparatively to the other more atmospheric sounds, not sure if you meant for that or what. just the only real complaint i have about sprint. Keep up the good work at watch out for monsters under the bed.