Game Bug: Candlestick crash [SPOILER/ALPHA 0.1]

Discussion of the game should go here. Let's keep the rest of the forum free from spoilers! :-)
matt

Re: Game Bug: Candlestick crash [SPOILER/ALPHA 0.1]

Post by matt »

The sprint sounds are super temp (me breathing into my webcam mic), so I suspect when we are ready to have the sound designer put something together, he'll come up with something much better. I just didn't want to waste his time before we committed to the run mechanic, but it seems like people are digging it, so we'll probably keep it. I got some good notes on how to improve it.

Thanks for your feedback!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Ok managed to have another good fiddle around with the build and most things that may need fixing have been said in this thread already, however there are two things that I noted.

When walking normally, there's an appropriate creaking floor board sound effect. However if tap shift repeatedly that noise is played constantly so it makes a stuttering noise. Sorry if it's been noted before but I didn't see it mentioned so! (I have video footage of it as well)

Something that's not really a bug but when you get to the one way corridor not far from the end, with the shadow following you, you are able to go into that shadow for quite a distance. Whether this is a bug or not I don't know but it seems to rather defeat the menace that the shadow initially creates. Some players might intentionally try to go into the shadow on their first playthrough so it might be worth putting some penalty there like being sent back akin to if you go down into the basement without the candle. (Video footage of this as well!)

Finally even though the scene transition skipping in the attic has already been mentioned, I found that if you ran into the stairs it made a nice beat! hahaha :D

That's about all I got! Sorry for the long post by the way, I can shorten it with just the URL's if you prefer haha :lol:
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
Lachian

Post by Lachian »

Matt,

Other Mac 10.9 - iMac - intel core 2 duo (so older than the macbook pro) - no candlestick crash. Was able to play all the way through.

So not sure what the issue is - will try it again and give you the log file it wants to send.

Also on trying to exit on mac the Alt F4 command doesn't work as that is a Windows only kill command and something you didn't hard code into your script.

On my mac I had to use option command esc which is not something that intuitive but frankly it is the same Alt F4 command function in Windows. I imagine that Linux might have a similar issue?

Maybe an exit button in the pause screen to make it easier on non techy people?

Thanks

Dwight
matt

Post by matt »

JPrice wrote:When walking normally, there's an appropriate creaking floor board sound effect. However if tap shift repeatedly that noise is played constantly so it makes a stuttering noise.
Pretty much everything with the run is temp, so don't worry about reporting those bugs.
JPrice wrote:Something that's not really a bug but when you get to the one way corridor not far from the end, with the shadow following you, you are able to go into that shadow for quite a distance. Whether this is a bug or not I don't know but it seems to rather defeat the menace that the shadow initially creates.
Yeah, this is something I was on the fence about. In the end, I opted for whatever was easiest to implement, which was to just let you walk backwards. I probably should stop being so lazy, so I'll add it to my ever growing todo list.
Lachian wrote:So not sure what the issue is - will try it again and give you the log file it wants to send.
I would say don't worry about the candle stick crash at the moment. The easiest way to fix this is to look at the crash dump on Windows builds. (Steam uploads crash dumps automatically on Windows, which is really nice)

Unfortunately, we screwed up and didn't save all the necessary info to make the crash dump useful, so we need to push another build (probably tomorrow)
Lachian wrote:Also on trying to exit on mac the Alt F4 command doesn't work as that is a Windows only kill command and something you didn't hard code into your script.
That was a big oversight on our part. It actually works with the standard Command-Q, but there is no indication of that.

We will have a quit menu option at some point, but we don't actually have a menu system yet. I'm working with Chris for the art on how our menus would work.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Matt Gilgenbach
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Ahhhh ok then, won't report any running bugs hahaa :D
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
loverofbooks

Post by loverofbooks »

Okay it seems many people have found out the candlestick and the ax lag so that's one check off of the bug list. I did not see this in the bug list. I only noticed it because I am personally sensitive to movement, which is why shooters give me head aches, i noticed if you ran or walked in the hall ways or any rooms where it was bigger than what you were seeing on the screen it produced this small line when walking and a lot of lines when running. I think the background was being rendered while i was walking but it didn't fully render. It particularly got bad after you got the ax.
One of these days your going to have to choose between what is easy and what is right. ~Unknown
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Oh whoops, sorry about my own double post earlier. It won't let me delete it now, but I'll avoid that from now on.

So Steam automatically uploads the crash dumps to you for Windows systems? If so, that's a nice feature. Also that means it won't be necessary to post any of them right?
matt

Post by matt »

loverofbooks wrote:it produced this small line when walking and a lot of lines when running. I think the background was being rendered while i was walking but it didn't fully render. It particularly got bad after you got the ax.
I believe what you are seeing is a result of not vsyncing. it appears as a horizontal line where the lines in the background don't connect. On the top everything is in one position, and below, it is elsewhere? Does that sound like what you are seeing?

If that's the case, it's a bit of a complex issue. We enable vsync always because that drives me crazy, but it doesn't work in some situations. Are you playing in a window? Vsync doesn't work with some display adapters. What graphics card do you have? Newer ones have the ability to override the application vsync setting, so perhaps that is what is going on here because we do enable vsync to avoid this issue.
RightClickSaveAs wrote:So Steam automatically uploads the crash dumps to you for Windows systems? If so, that's a nice feature. Also that means it won't be necessary to post any of them right?
Steam does if the same issue crops up more than a few times. (I'm not quite sure what the cut off is) So you will probably not need to upload minidumps, but I may ask for one if it's tough to reproduce and Steam didn't deliver it. If you are curious, the minidumps are stored here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverending Nightmares

And they have the file mdmp. Unfortunately, we didn't save the symbols from the initial build, so we uploaded a new one, so we can debug future mdmp. If you were able to get a crash, can you try again with the new build? For the full info on the new build, check out the release notes: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=145

Thanks for your help testing the build! :-)
-Matt Gilgenbach
pandy91

Post by pandy91 »

The crash has been fixed for me! Was able to play through the game and looks like everyone else has pointed out issues I would have mentioned. Looking forward to more of the game. :)
matt

Post by matt »

Huh. Maybe it was just a bad build. That sometimes happens. I'm glad to hear it's working for everyone!
-Matt Gilgenbach