272 - Tips for Consulting

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

272 - Tips for Consulting

Post by matt »

While consulting can be a great way to supplement your income developing, it is also challenging to do well. Here are some tips that I've found helpful when consulting.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 272 - Tips for Consulting

Post by evilkinggumby »

this is actually really informative and chock full of great advice. thanks fo that. though.. maybe it's just e but it sounds aweful familiar.. did you talk about this in a different video a few months ago? hmmm..

also, nice to see the office slowly coming together. :) where is the big ol speakers to crank tunes while you work? or.. do you work in total silence? maybe if you never did it, do a vid on good practices for productivity in the office. what is good lighting? what is good music? is it better to take breaks? how about desk space and ergonomics? do you think keeping food or drinks nearby is useful? naps? temperature? clothing? interuptions like phone/family? locked doors? gimp masks?
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Re: 272 - Tips for Consulting

Post by matt »

Well, I talked about the benefits of consulting for indie devs, but I figured I'd offer some advice on it. I don't think I had much advice in the last one, but maybe I did repeat myself somewhat.

I can't work without music, and I have a logitech 5.1 speaker system with small speakers and a large-ish subwoofer. I'm not sure my productivity tips are any good since what works for me may not work for other people. I pretty much work without breaks except for lunch, but I spend time reading RSS feeds when I am compiling or chatting with Joe about art stuff. Well, normally. If I have to write something (like I'm working on the kickstarter page stuff), then it is easy to get distracted, and I spend more time than I should reading docs. It is especially difficult when I am trying to come up with design ideas or puzzle ideas or whatever. If I am totally drawing a blank (which I often do), then I find myself browsing the internet more than I should.

I don't keep food or drinks near, and I try to avoid interruptions, but I sometimes text with my wife or chat with her when she gets home. I don't know if any of this or good or bad advice. I guess I could just say what I do. While I totally forgot to upload a dev diary today, I have some interesting ones recorded - at least I think they are, so stay tuned!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games