246 - Naming Nightmares

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

246 - Naming Nightmares

Post by matt »

In this video, I discuss the nightmare I'm facing trying to come up with a good name for the next game.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Re: 246 - Naming Nightmares

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Not knowing much about the game itself makes it a little tricky, but here's what I do know:
It involves nightmares in some way
It at least partially takes place in some ancient location
It involves superstition in some way
It involves guilt and whatnot in some way

So. Eh?

Evil Everlasting
Deeply Dreaming Darkness
Unfounded Fear/Fear Unfounded
Nihilistic Nightmares
Dead Leaves and Dreamscapes
Revulsive Ruin

And then I completely ran out of ideas, and started raiding the generic title drawer:
In Plain Darkness
The Last Mind on Earth
Monochromania

So, I think Deeply Dreaming Darkness is probably the best one in that list. It has nice alliteration, and it has a double meaning. So, it could mean [he/she/it] dreams of darkness, deeply, or it could mean the darkness itself dreams, deeply.

I don't know. I'll try and brainstorm again some other time.
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

I posted about this a while ago and whereas it's my assumption Matt saw it and rolled his eyes and figured it was a terrible idea.. I still am bucking to see something like this on my shelf (though admittedly, not PS3 but I did this fast)

I like the idea of creating something of a Serial Nightmare. They are tied by the main Series name, have some commonalities, but each game is its own episode and so can be a stand alone story that can have ties to other games, but are not dependent on them.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Well on the subject of names, as Grabthehoopka states, it's kinda hard with the subject matter and everything being rather vague at this point. However here are some rather generic-ish names that I could muster up!

- Eternal Psychosis
- The Insomnia Effect
- Endless Descent
- Beyond Sleep
- The Downfall
- Fragmented

Those are just some I could think of right now off the top of my head so apologies if they're not the greatest hahaa :P
Still I think we'll be able to come up with a better name once more information on the next game has been released at any rate.
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

Those are all good ideas. In a week or two, I'll probably post my ideas, which will have some juicy details about the next game. I just want to give myself more time to think of something I like. So far, I haven't come with anything that I love. Well, actually I came up with one that I loved, but everyone else hated it and talked me out of it. hahahaha
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

hopefully you divulge that beloved yet failed name as well. :)

So do you think the title will end up being fairly explicit, or implicit? hehehe... I'm curious if it'll really point to the heart of the game, or is more subtle and coy about it's meaning. :)
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Post by matt »

Well, the next game has a lot of layers, and the names we are looking at only hint at the setting/general surface plot. I guess I've beaten around the bush for long enough, so I present to you the Naming thread with a big clue about the setting of the next game!
-Matt Gilgenbach