240 - Why I Make Games!

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

240 - Why I Make Games!

Post by matt »

Someone (Evil King Gumby?) asked that I talk about why I make games in the first place. Ask and ye shall receive. hahah

Here's my thoughts!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 240 - Why I Make Games!

Post by evilkinggumby »

LOL damnit you owe me a computer monitor. You kept dry coughing and so i started throwing glasses of water and soda at your face and dang if it didn't help! Now my screen is cracked and sparking.. damn you!!!

Thanks for actually considering to answer my inquiry, it makes for a pretty fascinating video. So I guess there was no one game that really sealed the deal or inspired you more than any other at a young age? It is interesting you mention other "possible" career options, they all are similar in that you can use creativity and your strong analytical skills to solve a problem and create something that has both form and function.

I hope in thinking about this it may have reminded you a bit about why you chose to do this and maybe sparked a bit of your child like fascination for the medium. in the video you seem to have a smile when talking about it, something not always apparent in your videos. I like that. It tells me this really is something you have a great fondness for, despite the difficulties and challenges.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
Cridone

Post by Cridone »

evilkinggumby wrote:LOL damnit you owe me a computer monitor. You kept dry coughing and so i started throwing glasses of water and soda at your face and dang if it didn't help! Now my screen is cracked and sparking.. damn you!!
Whoa, in that case Matt, if you ever need to grab a glass of water or something in the future from keeping yourself from coughing so much, don't be afraid to walk out for a couple of minutes. You could then just cut out parts you were gone.

Always good to have some drinking water to help your throat being clearer.
I was 14 y/o when I joined this forum and 14-15 y/o during the entire duration of my time posting here, so just keep that in mind when reading my posts. Trust me, looking back at my posts here as an adult, a good chunk of it is unreadably embarrassing.
matt

Post by matt »

So I guess there was no one game that really sealed the deal or inspired you more than any other at a young age?
No, it's weird. I can't really identify the point at which I realized I wanted to make games. It was something I was always interested in, and then at some point, I realized it could be my career, and then it was like it was always meant to be.

I'm sorry about the coughing! I thought I was okay until I started recording, and then I didn't think it was going to continue to be so bad. I'll have to be more careful in the future.
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

LOL don't sweat the coughing, I just laughed and felt kinda bad when it persisted. It is flu season so I was worried you were coming down with something, which would SUUUCKKK...

You should keep a drink nearby just in case, then we can see what kinds of libations you enjoy. I'd get a right kick out of seeing you tip back a microbrew or some weird soda. i mean "What weird soda does Matt drink while coding games?" heheh... Inquiring minds want to know! Considering the impromptu unpolished nature of the vids, it wouldn't HURT them. :)
Though if you ate dinner while talking that might be a bit much... LOL
matt

Post by matt »

I actually am super boring. I don't drink alcohol at all. I mostly drink water with the occasional fruit juice. Lately, I have been too lazy to go downstairs to get a cup of water, so I just remain thirsty all day. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

Just get a rainbarrel for your office and run a drip line from the gutters on your roof to it so you have a neverending supply. :)

for my home office I keep a mini fridge stocked with drinks so I don't dry out while on the phone all day. i'm surprised you have such a setup. seems like you'd want every possible convenience in your office so you maximise efficiency when working. Or do you revel in knowing as you walk to get a drink you're being paid to slack off? hehehe... SLACKER!
matt

Post by matt »

My office is a horrible mess, so I don't think I have room for a fridge. haha Maybe if I ever clean up...
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

ha so we get to the root of why you make games. to avoid cleaning yer office!! haha.

So I'm curious, when you are working on the game at your pc, besides a messy office covered in refuse and roadkill, what do you keep around for inspiration? is your desk covered in figurines or artwork on the walls, are you by some windows to look out and ponder, weapons on the walls, etc etc etc. I'm curious what your "creative space" is like and how you think it helps inspire and motivate you when you work.

Or is it ridiculously organized, bare, and sterile? :)
miumiaou

Post by miumiaou »

People that have a lot of ideas usually have a messy office (for example: http://paul-art.deviantart.com/art/My-q ... -122295954 or more extreme: https://choreographyasexpandedpractice. ... og-big.jpg )