224 - Great Games in Genres I Don't Like

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

224 - Great Games in Genres I Don't Like

Post by matt »

Your forum requests are my command! In this video I talk about some games I really enjoyed in genres I love and briefly talk about why I liked them so much. Perhaps it would have been better to pick fewer games and go more in depth with the things that were good about them, but it's been a long while since I've played many of them, so I tried to go for breadth instead of depth. I suppose if any games jump out as interesting, I could talk more about them (although I already did a Dead Rising 3 video).

Anyway, enjoy!

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Re: 224 - Great Games in Genres I Don't Like

Post by Grabthehoopka »

You know, with the advances in physics engines and the popularity of physics-driven games like Angry Birds, Surgeon Simulator and the like, you would think that someone would create a more modern, physics-based sequel or spiritual successor to Blast Corps. Is it too much to ask to let me drive a bulldozer straight through a building and see all the little bits and pieces explode everywhere? I guess for now we'll have to be content with Angry Birds and Boom Blox. Sigh.
matt

Post by matt »

YES! I would love a Blast Corps sequel!!!!! Microsoft has crazy cloud-calculations for building destruction, but instead of Blast Corps, they announced they are using it for Crackdown 3. :-/

-Matt Gilgenbach
matt

Post by matt »

According to Ken Lobb, there will be another [url=www.polygon.com/2015/1/12/7532341/micro ... jo-kazooie]Blast Corps someday[url]. Let's hope he can make it happen before there is an executive shuffle and someone else who doesn't care for the old Rare IPs is in charge..
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Rareware really got screwed by Microsoft. On the one hand, I'm really glad, but on the other, I fear they haven't learned their lesson from Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts...

But on the other, other hand, Blast Corps is what Hollywood execs would call a "script-proof" concept. It would probably take more effort and creative thinking to screw it up than it would to at least make it decent. You level buildings and blow stuff up. That's IT. No drastic changes in story or concept halfway through production like you see on a lot of AAA games. Well, that SHOULD be it. We'll just have to wait and see.
matt

Post by matt »

Did you play Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts? I thought it was a really good game, but it was a bad choice for the Banjo IP and it seemed a bit hard to be targeting the kid audience. I think I eventually got stuck and never came back to it. I've always meant to.

Did you play Grabbed by the Ghoulies? Starfox Adventures? It seems like Rare could have been going downhill before Microsoft bought them. It's possible that they were working on the games they wanted to for a few years after Microsoft bought them, and they weren't that successful, so Microsoft sentenced them to be the Kinect developer. :-/ Who knows what really goes on, but it is a shame that Rare isn't as cool as they used to be.
-Matt Gilgenbach