206 - Purpose of Dev Diaries

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

206 - Purpose of Dev Diaries

Post by matt »

Why do I make all these darn videos? I'm glad you asked! Here's a video talking about it.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Re: 206 - Purpose of Dev Diaries

Post by evilkinggumby »

OK I have to be honest.. for whatever reason, this video seems to have you much more engaged, energetic, and enthusiastic about your talking points than a lot of previous ones. I don't know if you hit up a can of Red Bull, a line of Coke, or were just fired up with guns blazing to slap down the nay sayers (me being one of them) but I actually enjoyed it far more.

That said, I actually think this insight was good to have. I still think these are a poor way to represent the development team (even if your intent is to create these as a community builder), anything you put on the web can(and will) be perceived as representative of you and of where you work or any other entities you are a part of/associated with. This is why a lot of employee's have gotten heat from saying things on their personal twitter/facebook that they feel. Or say if you made a dev diary and got on a tangent about how you hate "x" because "y" and if it was a contested topic and went viral, it would often be seen as Infinitap's stance by default because you're the face of the company. :) As well it could be reported to associate you with your publisher, your agent, a comrade or peer in the industry, etc etc.

I don't think there is a necessity to take hours of prep for the videos and memorizing and writing out everything that has to be said (i.e. a full on script). In my mind having at least an outline or a list of bulletpoints and sub-topics so your thought are organized and you have a reference guide to eyeball as you talk should be enough to keep you from stammering too much. BUT if you are ocd it may be you can't deal with having just a thumbrule like list of what to cover, you'd feel compelled to write and over-compose and that would eat up time. Possibly take a few minutes to discuss what will be in the video with your wife or a co worker just to solidify things and then record it?

if not then just keep on keeping on and that's that. I have kind of said my schpeil on it. If you choose to accept that this is an ok way to represent Infinitap (like it or not you are the face/voice of your group) then so be it. I'll accept it and move on.

Also, you should totally talk with your hands more.. lol it keeps them busy so you're less likely to touch your face/scratch/rub your neck/wipe your nose etc etc lol Plus you seem to speak better with your hands moving.
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Post by matt »

Maybe I was just in a better mood. I don't always feel energetic or positive - especially when discussing the game's shortcomings as i have been lately. I like to reflect that so the diaries feel honest.

I am fine with people taking my opinions as representative of me or my company. I am careful to only say things I'd be comfortable getting massive attention. I just don't think the actual production quality of the videos is indicative of the quality or time we put in the game.

In the end, if I'm lucky, a video will get 100 views, and they are most likely my super fans or other game developers, so I am okay with appearing like an asshat because I feel like they are willing to give me the benefit of the doubt.
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

I don't think being upbeat and energetic when discussing the games shortcomings makes you seem disingenuous. If anything it means the possible mis steps haven't brought you down or kicked you towards giving up. If you came off psyched because bad feedback and problems with the game were seen as healthy lessons and input, ways to move up and get better as a designer, that is also totally acceptable (and far more constructive/positive). I'd feel much more confident in a game developer that was able to take a few punches and appreciate it than someone that seemed completely run down and seemingly morose or depressed because a few comments were less than idea. I guess it is a sign of your resilience and that is a bit of a sign of the developer's stability for the future.

That all said, you are human and so going to have your own emotions, outlook, and reaction to things. If seeing bad reviews, feedback, or criticism honestly gets you depressed or melancholy then showing that in the video's is being honest. I just wanted to open the door to say you don't HAVE to be as such based on the video's subject matter for fear of people's reaction.
I just don't think the actual production quality of the videos is indicative of the quality or time we put in the game.
In an ideal world, that would be the case. In an ideal world, people wouldn't judge one another simply on looks or first impressions, on what their job was, where they lived, etc etc. Reality says people are going to base their judgements on a company, a person, a brand, whatever on whatever they are exposed to. Company releases an offensive billboard ad or commercial, tons of people suddenly HATE that company/product. A celebrity shows for a major event in cheap plainclothes and not wearing expensive name brands, folk begin to question if they're having financial/emotional difficulties. Developer does a less than professional video/trailer/promo material and people are going to frown on the capabilities of said developers. You do get a lot more leeway being an indie, so people lower the bar and think " well they have no budget so they can't be as polished and professional". And they are generally right. Doesn't mean that lowered bar is what you should stick to strive for in well.. anything, though.

Not anything to really worry about at this point. I say it more for down the road in hopes you eventually strive to up your ante and always try to get better at what you do and everything you create.
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

Evil King Gumby,

Please find more constructive ways to participate in this forum than to nitpick everything associated with Neverending Nightmares and Infinitap Games. You are not here as a consultant, no one asked you to help improve anything. You made your initial points, and that was fine, but critiquing the developer diaries is getting to the point of absurd.

The point is, Matt has made over 200 Developer Diaries at this point and received no negative feedback thus far. Matt has been developing games for over a decade. It is ridiculous when you give advice about the games industry or marketing to someone who has been in this industry a very long time.

I know part of what is attractive about Infinitap Games is how open the company is with talking to fans, and I totally get why you are excited to participate on our forums and even make suggestions to Matt. But I think you're getting a bit heavy handed with things, to the point that you almost come off as condescending to Infinitap. Please do not forget that while Matt is gracious enough to interact with the fans, at the end of the day HE is the one making the game, and HE is the expert. There is nothing wrong with giving Infinitap feedback and suggestions. But they do not need anyone to deconstruct every little thing the company does.

Please do not take this as a personal attack. Honestly I'm thrilled that the game had enough impact on you that it inspired you to join the forums and participate to heavily. But at the same time, I find the way you engage the company to be a bit disrespectful at times.

Just dial it back a bit is all I'm requesting. You don't have to point out EVERY little thing you would like changed about this project/company. Give advice when advice is requested, but don't go out of your way and tell Matt things like how to improve the Developer Diaries. He's been making these a LOT longer than you've been posting/watching them, and he has continually been invited to PAX, E3, Indie Forums, etc...they are definitely not doing ANY damage to his public image.
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

Fair enough. I will reply to you via PM since this isn't really a discussion for this thread and I don't want to throw it entirely off topic because you have issue with me.
Please do not take this as a personal attack.
The fact you chose to say all that you said publicly, and only addressing me, tells me this was entirely personal. So I apologize now at everything you found offensive, derogatory, or insulting.
matt

Post by matt »

I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from participating on the forums, and I appreciate all advice given. Perhaps what Harry was getting at is that on the point of developer diary professionalism, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I see your point, and I'm not going to go as far as Harry to say that I'm right. Despite doing this for many years, I still don't know what the "right" way to do anything is. I think the dirty truth about game development is there is no right way because things change so rapidly. What works at one point doesn't work 6 months later.

However, I can only do what I think is right, and I feel pretty strongly that the developer diaries do more good than harm. Is there any way to prove it? Not really. However, even some of our slicker developer diaries didn't get a huge number of views, so I think at the very least, they don't have too much of an impact one way or another.

Do I think anything Evil King Gumby said was out of line? Well, there were a few comments that I objected to, but after objecting to them, he (or she?) was more than willing to discuss what was said and listen to my viewpoints. In the end, I think I read into the statements certain judgments that might not have been there. It is tough to communicate over text!

I think in general, we have a very passionate community that is very protective of the game and the company. I feel very lucky to have fans like that! I think when you joined, it was a bit of a shock to everyone - myself included. However, I think adding more voices (including critical ones) makes the forum a more diverse place, which is a good thing. That being said, I think it'll require some changes - at least to the way I conduct myself on the forum. Previously I tried to respond to pretty much EVERY post on the forum. I think that might not make sense if it just amounts to a difference of opinion.

You've done a lot of posts, which takes a lot of time, so it seems like you are invested in the community and want to help make our next game better. I think that's a good thing, and I appreciate all your time spent on the forum.
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

matt wrote:I see your point, and I'm not going to go as far as Harry to say that I'm right. Despite doing this for many years, I still don't know what the "right" way to do anything is. I think the dirty truth about game development is there is no right way because things change so rapidly. What works at one point doesn't work 6 months later.
This displays a great and wonderful quality about you that really impresses me. I respect you so much for being open and willing to both admit there is not one true "right" answer but also stick to your guns and state you do what you feel is best despite this. And whereas the topic may not be something we agree on, the fact you are willing to consider and listen and weigh both sides is really important, because I also try and do that and rarely see it performed in others.

Finally, some good news this week. :) Thanks for that.

Also, you mentioned in the newest vid apologizing for not getting one out Mon, no worries. When you are buried under lots of work, it's going to happen. I personally wouldn't worry or say anything unless we didn't see a video for over 1-2 weeks. Then I'd wonder if you were ill or mauled by a raging moose or won the lotto and moved to Bora Bora. :)
matt

Post by matt »

Fortunately, there aren't many moose in the Los Angeles area, so I don't expect any delays related to them. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach