197 - Interaction Postmortem

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

Re: 197 - Interaction Postmortem

Post by matt »

I really don't want to have any on screen prompts or button icons or exclamation points. One of the goals for Neverending Nightmares was a commitment to immersion, and I think we succeeded in that regard (although one could argue that we were forced to have gameplay that was too simple because of it). I want to continue to try that in the next game.
Those are good idea for the baby monster, but I’d probably want to keep things simpler. We probably will make it a bit more complex than the first game, but I think keeping things simple is a good goal.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

Only reason I suggested the exclamation point was for the fact you have mentioned possibly doing QTE's for the game, which are hard to do if you don't have some indication of what to do on screen. Or have you scrapped the QTE idea entirely?
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Post by matt »

No. I was thinking that we would make the QTEs more obvious by context. For example, if a monster has you in its grip, you mash the A button. I am hoping it'd be self-explanatory, but I'll have to prototype it first. Beyond button mashing to escape, I don't think we can do QTEs without icons like you pointed out.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games