178 - Getting Press

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

178 - Getting Press

Post by matt »

In this dev diary, I talk about how I attempt to get press and how hard it is when you are indie.

Here is the Full Indie Summit talk that I mention:

The stuff about me is at 17:45.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ranger_lennier

Re: 178 - Getting Press

Post by ranger_lennier »

I'm not sure who you've contacted at IGN, but Daniel Krupa mentioned Neverending Nightmares as a game he was looking forward to.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/ ... on-in-2014
matt

Post by matt »

I did see that, which is super cool. I've been reaching out to the IGN staff at PAX to try and get some coverage there, but Daniel won't be at PAX since he's based out of London. I don't have an email address for him unfortunately, but I'll try to tweet at him when it comes close to release.
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

What a nice mention in that video. Justin McElroy's articles about you and the game have all been great.

Looks like PCGamer's only mention of NN was in a Steam Greenlight roundup-type posting back in October: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/17/steam ... m-marines/
They used a NN screenshot as the header for the article though, which is really cool! It sounds like the writer really liked it. It's Tom Sykes, have you gotten in touch with him? https://twitter.com/tomdavidsykes

....buutttt, looking at his Twitter page, it looks like he's ALSO in the UK. It almost seems like a trend is forming here :P
matt

Post by matt »

I missed that article! I'll have to pass him along a review code. Hopefully I can get someone to stop by at PAX. Maybe they'll notice our booth since we'll have big cloth covered booths to make it dark and scary like we did last year.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I think that since there's so many damn indie games coming out these days, the press really does seem to pick the winners. It seems kind of stressful in that you really need to win over the gate-keepers of the press if you want your game to reach gamers...and the reason I think is because there are SO many indie games coming out, it's hard for any single one to stick out to consumers without either it catching fire on twitter/reddit/the press.

Some of the most high profile Indie Games I found out from through other developers I follow on Twitter or games press people I follow on Twitter.

I agree with you that you need a "story" to sell your game. Luckily you've really put a lot of yourself and your personal story in the hook of the game. Also, luckily Pax is really close to release, so the game will be fresh in everyone's minds.

Honestly, I think you've made a high quality product (though keep in mind I haven't played since 0.4...I'm trying to keep it fresh and new :)...I'm sure it's even better now than it was when I played last). And I think quality products have a tendency to create their own buzz.

The problem with Retro/Grade I think is by the time it released, everyone was over rhythm games. But luckily in the age of people recording themselves playing scary games on youtube (which honestly I really don't get), horror games are popular.

You're in the right genre, you've got a quality product, and you've got a hook to sell it. I think all you need is to bust your ass to get some coverage, hope some of your let's plays go viral (pewdiepie), and hope that it becomes a social media buzz, and I think you're gold.

Have you considered sending out copes to Let's Players? Does that violate some kind of ethics shit? Should I make a Let's Play? Should I write a dumb short story about how your game is haunted and post it on a creepypasta forum? I WANT YOU TO SUCCEED BECAUSE YOUR GAME IS SO GOOD.
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Harry, not to tempt you too much, but there is so much cool new stuff in the game now. Including a certain new level where Thomas is... way different. I'll just leave it at that.

I started a thread for suggestions of Youtube streamers Matt could get in touch with before the game launches, do you have any to add? viewtopic.php?f=15&t=661
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks for the positive feedback! The game has come sooooo far from 0.4. I think this last month of polish is going to make a lot of difference. We are almost finished in terms of completing the stuff we need to get in, so I think we'll have time to clean up some of the art that isn't up to par, polish some animations, and get some more interactions in. I think the final product will be significantly better than what you guys are seeing now. At least I hope so. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach