177 - Voice Acting

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

177 - Voice Acting

Post by matt »

In this developer diary, I talk about how our voice recording session went and give my thoughts on the whole process.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
JPrice

Re: 177 - Voice Acting

Post by JPrice »

OK first thing first, I got a good chuckle out of your story about your co-worker talking about your voice hahaa :P and don't worry I think you're voice sounds fine! Both in game and normally haha :)

More importantly though it's interesting to see the process behind the voice acting, considering you've never done it properly before. I assume that it was a fairly difficult process, once the final voices are in though I can imagine that it'll all fit together nicely! I can't wait to hear how they sound personally :D

Also I'd love to see some of those video recordings, I'm a sucker for behind the scenes type stuff with things I like so.
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

Why thank you! I'm glad I don't have a completely terrible voice. hahahah

I'll definitely cut something cool together. Elizabeth was really funny, so hopefully there should be some good parts to that. We also tried her out for the asylum patient, which was interesting. I'm not sure Eduardo was happy with it, but I thought it sounded pretty cool and was very impressive.

Editing it together will take a while, and it'll have spoilers, so that'll have to wait until after we ship. You'll get to hear the new voices hopefully at the end of the week. It is really awesome!
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Sounds great, I can't wait to hear the voice acting! The video is something I'd also love to see.

I'm glad to hear you watched all the Double Fine documentary episodes, there was so much fascinating stuff in there. It really blew my mind as someone who didn't know much about game development. Their voice acting sessions were really entertaining too.

Scarlett Johannsen: I've never understood the fascination with hiring celebrities to do voice over for games or even animated movies. Does that ever sell more copies? Especially kids animated movies, what kid, who is the target audience, is going to look at a movie poster and say "hey Anne Hathaway is doing the voice for this now I HAVE to see it!" Maybe it's a thing for the parents? Who I guess are the real target audience as they buy the tickets :)
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

I like your voice. Of course, I also like frogs. Not sure if the two are related. :D
matt

Post by matt »

Even though I've developed many games, and they went through similar things, I *loved* the Double Fine documentaries. It was soooooooo well done.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they hire big name voice actors. Certainly some big name actors are very talented at voice acting, but just getting someone famous for the sake of it doesn't make a lot of sense. I feel like sometimes they do the same for video games. I don't think anyone has bought a video game because of a celebrity voice or performance capture...
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I know you were busy with many business things, but if you're ever in TX again and want to have lunch with a backer and fan, let me know! I live in Dallas, which is about 4 hours north of Austin, but I take trips down there from time to time because it's a fun city :).
matt

Post by matt »

That sounds cool! I will let you know if I'm back in Austin. I imagine I'll travel there again at some point. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach