176 - P.T. (Silent Hills) Demo

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

176 - P.T. (Silent Hills) Demo

Post by matt »

Horror fans are perhaps discussing the playable trailer for the new Silent Hills game more than the upcoming game. I think as a marketing tool, it was very successful because of all the buzz it generated, but is it a good game on its own? Here, I share my experience.

Did anyone else play? :) Thoughts?
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Re: 176 - P.T. (Silent Hills) Demo

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Well that sounds kinda bizarre and confusing! It does make me feel better for not being able to play it though, since I don't have a PS4.

Also that "s" at the end of Silent Hills keeps throwing me. It sounds like the name is being mispronounced or something, but apparently that's the official way to say it right now. I wonder if that will be the launch name, it sounds so weird. I'd be fine with them just going the reboot direction and calling it Silent Hill, like they did recently with Tomb Raider and tons of movies.
matt

Post by matt »

Maybe there are multiple cities called Silent Hill in the game? Maybe there are 2 hills both of which are silent? hahaha Yeah the name is weird, and the demo is weird. I found it interesting how many people were super impressed with it...
-Matt Gilgenbach
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Yeah I pretty much agree with most of what you said in this diary.

I haven't got a PS4 myself but I saw someone do a playthrough of it. I really liked the way it started off as it was really atmospheric and oppressive, with the constant repetition of the same hallway. However after about 20 minutes when the really obtuse puzzles started to be introduced , it pretty much fell apart for me. Like I don't mind having difficult puzzles but when it gets to the point where they have barely any hints on how to solve them, then it just gets ridiculous. Like how are you supposed to know that you're meant to wait at the phone for several minutes near the end, just staring at it. I mean don't get me wrong, the marketing behind the concept was great and it really did help put the game in the public conciousness but I can't help but think that the actual game could have been better and not given so many people so much frustration in trying to beat it. Still I guess it did its job well in the end, that job being to make the Silent Hills announcement unique and reach mass coverage.
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

From what I understand, NO ONE actually knows how to trigger the ending part. There are a bunch of instructions of people who think they know (some include talking into your microphone), but I don't think anyone has posted instructions that work for everyone. I looked pretty hard because I wanted to fully experience the demo. I failed miserably.

I feel like it just is a random chance based on the MAC address of your PS4. hahahah I'm sure it is something completely ridiculous like taking a prime number of footsteps when you do a closer look on something random, but Konami isn't saying... :-/
-Matt Gilgenbach
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Now with at least 100% more hills!

I was confused just watching the demo. In the playthrough I watched, it seemed like they got stuck in the bathroom with the baby for quite a while, but then they eventually left and I wasn't sure what they'd done to get unstuck.
matt

Post by matt »

That feeling of not knowing what does what is practically the entire experience. There is really no feedback as to what triggers anything, so sometimes you think you're stuck, but you aren't, and sometimes you are stuck, but you don't realize why.

I got stuck quite a bit before the final puzzle and watched some walkthroughs. Half the time I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I just went back and looked at EVERYTHING again over and over until I could advance.
-Matt Gilgenbach