101 - Next-next-gen

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

101 - Next-next-gen

Post by matt »

Here's a video where I talk about the generation of consoles to follow "next gen" (Xbox One and PS4). It's a little bit rambling, but you might find it interesting:

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ranger_lennier

Re: 101 - Next-next-gen

Post by ranger_lennier »

I used to think that console games would be more likely than PC games to work years into the future, but as on-line features have become a bigger and bigger part of console games, I'm not sure that's true anymore. I own a DVD of Dark Souls for the Xbox 360. Let's say that 10 years from now I want to play it, but my console isn't working anymore. Yes, I could buy a used Xbox, put in the disc, and play it. But will I still be able to download the patches for it (which change the game balance quite a bit)? Will I be able to re-download the DLC I bought? Will there still be servers running to leave messages, summon co-op players, or PvP? At this point, if I had to guess, I'd say I'd have a better experience playing Dark Souls through Steam than on an Xbox 360 in 2024.

And right now I'd say it's only getting worse. Many console games are only released digitally. Some games only have on-line multiplayer. Some games are using cloud processing. Lot's of games release companion apps for smart devices. I get that these features offer some advantages, but I also fear that it will make games ephemeral. It will sadden me if the closest we can come to experiencing some games is watching an old Let's Play video, and not playing them ourselves.
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Backwards compatibility is extremely important to me. I love PC for the capacity for emulation that allows for this and it's also why I'm a pretty avid GOG-customer. I love being able to play, say, the original Dungeon Keeper, but that's only possible thanks to tools like DOSBox.

I dunno about the example of Grim Fandango specifically, but there's a huge community and constant effort to get these types of games compatible again. Emulating other operating systems may be very difficult, yes, but sometimes that's not even necessary. I dunno what the problem was exactly but the folks from GOG got System Shock 2 to run again under Windows 7, something I never managed to do with my own physical copy.

As for consoles, I rarely buy those. When I do, usually only the portable kind (I own two different Nintendo DS for instance, although not the 3DS as yet). The last "proper" console (i. e. one for the living room) I bought was a Playstation 1! :-D And I actually hooked it up to my TV again recently.

Consoles used to be awesome regarding the ability to play on the old hardware, but more and more these people push towards online activations, sign-ups, login-once-a-day stuff and the like. So, honestly, I think this particular boon to consoles is dying out, unfortunately. And a lot of people cheer that on, even, because they enjoy the online social features, patching etc. so much that they don't mind the loss in consumer freedom. As consoles become more like computers in how they are approached (in terms of how you buy games, activate them, have them log on to the internet etc.), I think they start to lose a lot of the benefits that might otherwise get a person to buy a console rather than a computer. So, basically: Agreed with ranger_lennier on that point.
matt

Post by matt »

I think besides multiplayer, console games will always run. While you can expect popular titles will receive patches, I wouldn't say I actually have popular taste.

I'd much rather pop a disc in an old console (or even buy another off ebay) rather than fighting with patches, virtual machines, compatibility modes, and multicore timing. If you think I'm exaggerating, I've done all of those things trying to get old games to run.

While backwards compatibility currently sucks in the console world, I hear that Sony is going to release a PS2 emulator for PS4, which would be awesome. If they stick with x64 (which I imagine they will) virtualization will be easy. I'm hoping they release an Xbox 1 emulator for the Xbox One. I feel like it'd be really easy but apparently backwards compatibility is "backwards" according to Microsoft.. :-/ I don't think they'll feel that way in the future.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games