94 - Predator

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

94 - Predator

Post by matt »

In this video I discuss the horror aspect of the classic Arnie film Predator and what they did so well. It may not usually be considered a horror film, but it should be.

"RUN! GET TO DA CHOPPA!" "Ain't got time to bleed..." "El Diablo cazador de hombres." "If it bleeds, we can kill it."
Predator has some awesome quotes! Plus, 2 actors in in that film became governors. hahah

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
gagaplex

Re: 94 - Predator

Post by gagaplex »

This is probably blasphemous to a lot of people, but am I the only one who liked Predator 2 better than 1? For one, I could take the hero more seriously than Arnie (he's too hilarious), for another I preferred the urban setting/the misdirection with the gang wars and I also really liked how they established more of the "lore" behind the Predators (like how they respect even human "hunters", that thing with the pregnant but armed woman and so on). I dunno, I liked that. Also, hidden reference to the Alien-universe (so the whole AvP-thing was there already)!
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

If there's any movie it's worth buying more than once it's Predator, the movie rules. It manages to be a crazy over the top 80s action movie, a sci-fi, and a horror all at the same time, which is really impressive. It also introduced so many iconic things, like the triple dot laser targeting and the different modes of night vision. You got the feeling that this creature, even though it was hardly ever seen in the movie and didn't have much explanation, had a really detailed universe and story behind it.

I still haven't seen Predator 2, I'm afraid of being disappointed. I got it on a DVD with Aliens.
matt

Post by matt »

I think I liked Predator 2 when I was younger because it had a higher body count and more info about the predator. However, on going back and watching them, I think the first is much more tense and has better horror elements. Predator 2 has a different feel. It has awesome gore and kind of follows the Predator more so than the humans.

It is kind of like comparing Alien vs. Aliens although neither is as proper horror as Alien and neither is as action packed as Aliens.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Stefan8000

Post by Stefan8000 »

nothing more to say about predator, a very good movie. i like the second part too. it is great, that it dont just copy the first movie and added so much more. both movies to remember.
matt

Post by matt »

That is true. They are both quite good. I wasn't nuts about Predators though. Despite the name, it seemed to be mainly focused on the people - the predators took a back seat. It also seemed rather close to the first one in terms of general theme, but it didn't really add anything new to the predator universe.
-Matt Gilgenbach