91 - Nervous About the Alpha

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

91 - Nervous About the Alpha

Post by matt »

The alpha is coming soon! I promise. I'm a bit nervous about it, so I made a video.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Re: 91 - Nervous About the Alpha

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Sounds exciting, I'm looking forward to it! Kinda wish I'd taken next week off instead of this week now so I could be home to grab it as soon as it goes out :)

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but I'm not clear on the demo part. Is this next alpha build being released as a public demo as well, or is there some separate demo that's going out in addition to the alpha?

edit: As far as worries about public reception; for the backers, I think you've done a good job in specifying that this will be an alpha and what that means. I was surprised to hear you talk about how much was going to be in this next alpha, actually, so personally I think my expectations will be surpassed.

If there's also a demo going out publicly, then as long as it's specified exactly what it is, like the Kickstarter launch demo, then people should know what to expect and not judge the wrong things. The Kickstarter launch demo was one of the big factors in getting me to fund this game. I know demos can be tricky, but I personally love them. Just my anecdotal experience, but I've bought a lot of games after playing the demos.
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

I can imagine releasing it a big deal as it is the next stage of the design process!
I'm sure that it'll be great though :D Also I like the idea of you naming the stages/music, when you were talking about that it reminded me of like Dead Space where the stage titles spelled out a story twist if you read the first letter of each one.

Actually that reminds me of something to suggest, I really like it when games have small details like that it makes everything just seem like more a labour of love. I mean if you already have stuff like that then great haha :) but was just something that would be nice if you had time, you know just adding stuff like small hints towards inevitable plot details in some indirect manner or just other small creepy things. Obviously you don't have to but still thought I'd mention it! Hahaa

Anyway back on topic, I see you "stole" that run idea from me and another user hahaha :D
It's ok, just nice to see we're having an impact on things ;)

Can't wait to play the next Alpha build Matt! I'm sure the hard work that you and your team has done will shine through :)
(Also is this build full of scares? Because I'll record myself for your marketing if it does hahaa)
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

Sorry, when I say demo, I mean another alpha build. I don't think we'll do another public demo beyond the kickstarter one. I am used to making demo builds for E3 and press and various events, so in my mind, it's a demo build even though it's alpha backers only.

I think there should be some good scares in this one, so it's worth recording yourself if you don't mind. There are a lot of little touches, but I don't want to spoil any of them. hehehe I will continue to add more though. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Stefan8000

Post by Stefan8000 »

i am very excited too, and i am looking forward to the release of that build. i dont think, you have to be stressed because of us backers (but i can understand, that you are;-)), you have told us so much about your intentions, and so it will be ok. i have no special request or opinion on this game, i want to see YOUR game. if you think, it is good for you, than it will be good for me. it is your creation, coming from your mind, and that is that, i want to see. so, i think, there will be no problems.

btw. i still think, it would be a good idea, to post in the headline of the youtube videos, that this are the developer diaries of neverending nightmares. or do you want, that only backers shall see that videos?
matt

Post by matt »

I'm glad to hear that you are excited to see what I have in store. I think it's going to be good. :-D

You are right. I really should make it clear that these are the Neverending Nightmares Dev Diaries. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before. haha

Thanks for the tip!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Aludra

Post by Aludra »

Don't be nervous! The new alpha is amazing! And I'm astounded by the amount of work you guys have done. You're spoiling us! I wouldn't say that you're going in an entirely different direction, the new levels build nicely on what was there in the demo. The tone of the game is still consistent, and your pacing is great. Putting something you've created out there for all to see is very difficult, thanks for sharing so much of your process!
matt

Post by matt »

I'm so glad to hear you like the new build! It is really great that my fears were unwarranted - at least with respect to the work I've been doing. I have plenty of other fears, and you'll play them all in future levels. ;)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Stefan8000

Post by Stefan8000 »

great alpha, i love it.
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

God, you look like you just walked out of a car accident before recording this. And the car accident was the result of seeing a ghost. Thanks again for being so open with us, I hope it's therapeutic for you!

Anyways, I'm part of the Beta crowd. I feel a little bad, cause my donation was $5 short of the Alpha tier, and if I understand game development correctly, Beta is primarily the "game testing" stage of development, where vast swathes of the game have already been ironed out and the game is mostly completed, the rest is just tweaks and bug squashing. At least I think that's how it works. Anyway, I missed out on the opportunity to give feedback during this slightly more crucial period of development.

When the time comes, though, I'll record a reaction video for you. I'm looking forward to it! :D