Developer Diaries suggestions

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
ranger_lennier

Re: Developer Diaries suggestions

Post by ranger_lennier »

In Dark Souls II, you have to be careful because you can actually destroy the chests and whatever's inside of them. They're sturdy enough that you can shoot them with an arrow, attack them with a dagger, or something like that. But I destroyed a couple when battling creatures nearby.
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I have an idea.

You talked at length about Halo, but are there other examples of games that you really liked in genres that you don't normally like, and what we can learn from them?
matt

Post by matt »

I used to play some of everything, but now I am a bit burnt out on a lot of popular AAA games because they feel pretty same-y. That is an interesting idea though. I'll have to give it some thought!

Thanks for the suggestion!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

Games you played.. and played.. and replayed.. and replayed.. because it was just too fun/kool/fascinating/enjoyable that you find you end up popping it in and playing at least a few hours of it every year.

And why you feel these games always bring you back to them. What works? what doesn't? Are there any that are generally disliked that you somehow love?
[I am Evilkinggumby on DeviantArt and Steam if you want to looks me up!]
matt

Post by matt »

I actually don't replay games very often. I think maybe the game I kept coming back to over and over was Samba de Amigo for the Sega Dreamcast (I started without the maracas, but I upgraded eventually), although I played a lot of that in college when I had more time. hahah Now, I mostly try to play a wide variety of games rather than replay one game.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Speaking of Samba De Amigo maracas...you've made it clear by now that you're a sucker for gimmicky games and you love peripherals and hardware and such, but if you could make a game centered around its own custom peripheral, what would you do? This is assuming that you had a publisher willing to manufacture said peripherals, and further assuming that the music game bubble hadn't burst and customers were still willing to clutter their houses with more stuff.

If you don't have any ideas, I suppose this could also extend to games centered around pre-existing peripherals like you did with Retro/Grade.
matt

Post by matt »

That is a very good question! Despite that being one of my dreams, I honestly haven't given it much thought. While I don't have any great ideas that come to the top of my mind, I think I'd like to do something arcade-y. The music peripherals have been done to death, but I miss the days where you could go to the arcade and get a really unique control experience. The original After Burner blew my mind - especially with the moving seat. Silent Scope was a really fun game and something that could only be done (well) in the arcade.

I think I'd rather pick something fantastical rather than emulating the real world. Perhaps something with crazy controls like Steel Battalion (which I have, but it's way too hardcore for me. i don't think I got past the 2nd or 3rd level before it deleted my save). Maybe it'd be interesting to come up with some custom controller that could do a good job of controlling six axes of freedom - kind of like the game Descent - but I felt like I didn't have enough fingers and arms to play that game well. Perhaps there is some crazy controller one could build to better play a game like that.

Anyway, those are my random ideas off the top of my head.
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

odd you didn't have enough arms for descent. back when it came out I had it on my old 486 and mapped a pseudo gravis gamepad to play it so the d pad was the method to look around and shift your view, one face button to move forward, one to back up, and a button for lasers and another for missiles.. played through a lot of the game with that simple layout rather effectively. only catch was needing to pop a button on the keyboard once in a while to reset the camera if necessary.

odd peripherals are always fascinating. Seems like Sega got good with those back in the day. I want to see a horror themed game for kinect where you can put a bag over your head to "hide" in game from the monsters. program it to detect your head and also detect when the bag is covering your head. when you hear the monster fade away on the speakers.. take the bag off and hope it's gone. hehehe
matt

Post by matt »

I only played Descent 3, which had a crap ton of controls. Maybe they had more in Descent 3 or maybe I just sucked.

They made a Kinect game that came with a basketball that watched you dribble, so maybe a game with a bag peripheral is right around the corner! :) There was a horror kinect game, Rise of the Nightmares, but it got bad reviews. I saw it at E3 and even the demo-er from Sega looked like he had trouble controlling it.
-Matt Gilgenbach
evilkinggumby

Post by evilkinggumby »

yeah rise of nightmares was said to be goddaweful.. my friend grabbed the demo and tried it but.. yeah.. VERY hit or miss.. mostly miss... not "scary" at all.