Skippable cut-scenes?

Post your suggestions for the development team here.
AironNeil

Skippable cut-scenes?

Post by AironNeil »

I've been finding myself wanting some way to speed up, or skip the cut scenes since I've seen them many times before and I feel like a few other people might feel the same way too. I understand you wouldn't want people playing through the game the first time to do it, but since the game is meant to be played more than once I think that functionality would benefit it even though most of the scenes are pretty short.
matt

Re: Skippable cut-scenes?

Post by matt »

This is something that I've gone back and forth on. I don't want to put something in there and have people accidentally trigger it if they wanted to see it. I also don't want to put anything in game like showing the back button and saying (press back to skip). Plus we don't have a back button on Ouya...

Technically, some of the cutscenes are easier to skip than others. If they are implemented in engine rather than with our cutscene system, they are a series of interdependent events. We can make those skippable, but it's more work. I'll talk it over with the other programmer and see what he thinks...

Maybe the best way is to just have an option to skip cutscene in the pause menu - although I don't think you can pause the game during some cutscenes... Well, we'll look into it.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
matt

Re: Skippable cut-scenes?

Post by matt »

This has been implemented in the latest build. You can do it with space or return on the keyboard, or back or B on the gamepad.

It is "undocumented" because I think want to change it to an option when you pause the game to skip cutscene. If we keep it with those controls, we'll probably change it to a sustained hold for 2 seconds or so just so people don't do it by accident.

I hope it makes replaying the game more enjoyable, but I'd watch all the cutscenes over now that we have better voice actors. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games