Matt Gilgenbach's Game Developer Makeover on G4

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
ranger_lennier

Re: Matt Gilgenbach's Game Developer Makeover on G4

Post by ranger_lennier »

LOL--I didn't know you were such a trash talker, Matt. :lol: I thought you were actually going to drive a race car for a minute there, though I guess there could be some safety issues with that. The police go kart was pretty funny, though.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, they apparently wanted to use real race cars, but MTV's legal team said no. Then when they were evaluating the pilot, they said the show was lame because they didn't use real race cars, and they didn't pick up the show because of it. Catch-22 at its finest!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

I'm not sure "Are You Game?" could have worked that well. A common appeal of video games is the ability to do something you couldn't do in real life. I suppose games like racing, sports, or hand to hand combat would be the easiest to replicate, but even if you found game developers with experience in those, they wouldn't likely be anywhere near a professional level. I suppose you could do paintball or laser tag for FPS games, but is it really that exciting to watch game developers play paintball capture the flag? Perhaps real life obstacle courses or puzzle games could be cool, if they had a unique design.

But actually appearing in the show--that does look fun.
matt

Post by matt »

The show was for "gamers" not just game developers. We were on part 2. Part 1 was people with an NBA video game rivalry who played 2 on 2 with actual NBA players. I think. I actually never saw part 1. hahah

I do agree that they would quickly run out of "real life challenges" they could do for games. I actually hate all reality TV, so if the show was picked up, it would not be something I would watch. It was fun to be on!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games